Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
security for the modern home
15 June 2013, 20:26,
security for the modern home
my house has 3 ground floor doors all with glass panels in plus large windows at the front and the back and a small one on the side .
to make my home secure with out it looking like a fort is impossible .
we all get away with this because on the whole somebody trying to get in would be seen or heard but after shtf raiders would not worry about noise or being seen .
so what could you recommend to boost a homes security with out it looking like a fort .
i rent so nothing to mad please
Survive the jive (youtube )
15 June 2013, 20:31,
RE: security for the modern home
I think that I would quietly order exterior plywood panels to fit all doors and windows,... what are your door and window frames made from?,... it doesn't realty matter though, you could still nail to plastic if you had to,....and then spay graffiti over them,..try if you can to make it look deserted

Its not an easy one to answer
A major part of survival is invisibility.
15 June 2013, 20:42,
You could try something like this:

http://www.sureguard.co.uk/window-film/security-film/
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
15 June 2013, 20:43, (This post was last modified: 15 June 2013, 20:46 by Sunna.)
front upvc , side and back wood , thanks

(15 June 2013, 20:42)Tarrel Wrote: You could try something like this:

http://www.sureguard.co.uk/window-film/security-film/

great idea , bit pricy for me .
many thanks
15 June 2013, 21:21,
Buy a big dog. After SHTF nobody will care about alarms, all physical barriers can be broken down, but nobody likes being chewed by a doberman.
15 June 2013, 21:30,
Nor three German Shepherds...Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
15 June 2013, 21:39,
(15 June 2013, 20:26)Sunna Wrote: my house has 3 ground floor doors all with glass panels in plus large windows at the front and the back and a small one on the side .
to make my home secure with out it looking like a fort is impossible .
we all get away with this because on the whole somebody trying to get in would be seen or heard but after shtf raiders would not worry about noise or being seen .
so what could you recommend to boost a homes security with out it looking like a fort .
i rent so nothing to mad please

A wrought iron ornate grill fitted over the doors painted the same colour as the doors to give it the french chateau look, Laminating flim over the glass and have french shutters fitted to the outside that can be closed and ecured if TSHTF. Also some pre cut steel cross bars that can be dropped into place from door frame to door frame should the SHTF to stop anyone using a sledge hammer to bash their way in.

15 June 2013, 21:49,
Its a tough one Sunna, although ply or any BARRIER would imply there is something here that the inhabitants want to hide or protect , and if it was a gang deep sh.t will be the result , I think it was NR that suggested a deserted look , a ripped curtain a smashed window , all of which could be sorted in quick order at night. I am starting to consider reinforcing mesh cut to size and ready to fit to my windows and doors at night or under attack if these sheeple are in big enough numbers I may be overcome , BUT I will take a few out with me if I am lucky,not the ideal I know , but short of being in a bunker or up high and out the way your guess is as good as mine.
15 June 2013, 22:04,
If there is soil available outside the GF windows you could always plany stuff like Berberis in front of it.

16 June 2013, 11:00,
about 5yrs ago i built out of foraged wood a area of decking more than big enough to cover my front windows but it sticks out like a sore thumb .