Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questionaire for a paper Im writing
17 June 2013, 09:35,
RE: Questionaire for a paper Im writing
(16 June 2013, 18:49)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Hey BP - did he just tell you leave? This is practically your home!

not practically, it IS my home GG, don't worry I never did worry what newbie's think of me!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 June 2013, 09:49,
(17 June 2013, 09:35)bigpaul Wrote:
(16 June 2013, 18:49)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Hey BP - did he just tell you leave? This is practically your home!
not practically, it IS my home GG, don't worry I never did worry what newbie's think of me!Big GrinBig Grin

Or anyone else for that matter, but because we're both on their "ignore list" we really could just write their name haha. I'm just kidding, all said in light hearted fun.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 June 2013, 09:55,
(17 June 2013, 09:49)Scythe13 Wrote:
(17 June 2013, 09:35)bigpaul Wrote:

Or anyone else for that matter, but because we're both on their "ignore list" we really could just write their name haha. I'm just kidding, all said in light hearted fun.
never did give a damn what anyone thought of me, my parents had this "what will the neighbours say" kind of attitude so naturally I went the other way!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 June 2013, 11:17, (This post was last modified: 17 June 2013, 11:17 by Scythe13.)
They do seem to be very much closed end questions. That makes me think you'd probably be better with a few open ended questions, so that you get both quantitative and qualitative data. Yes and no answers frequently lead to assumptions, most of which turn out to be false. I have books on data collection for university projects you can have, as long as you cover the cost of postage, and enough extra to buy me and the wife a Costa (not the store, just a coffee each, maybe a cake.....mmmm cake.

Okay, on with your questions. This is going to be a bit of both. I will answer those questions that I am happy to answer, but if you scroll through my near 4000 posts (many of which are joking with Barney, or ranting about fitness, you'll probably get answers for the questions I've not answered)

1.Do you know what a solar storm is and what a large solar storm could do to our society?
What it is: Yes.
What is could do: Since there is no current data to turn to, what I believe can only be based on assumptions (as already mentioned, they're usually wrong). The only data available is about a solar storm that caused problems many years ago, when we were not too dependant on electricity, back in 1890's I think.

2.How often do you use an elevator?
I can happily say, I don't. Not incase of a solar storm. I prefer the fitness element of walking the stairs.

3.Do you have some fresh batteries on standby?
Always have plenty of batteries. Even though a solar storm may well damage them, I am preparing for more than just a solar storm, ergo batteries should be fine in most other preparedness situations.

4.When you fill your vehicles fuel tank up, do you fill any fuel containers as well?
I do. Fuel has more purposes than just running a car, which will likely not work after a solar storm.

5.Do you have a non electric cooking option?
Of course. See the fuel mentioned earlier...although not recommended as a cooking source, it's a great way to start a log fire.

6.If you take any prescription medication, do you have enough to last you a couple of months without restocking?
I have no prescription medication, but the wife is on the pill (no mini-Scythe13's thank you very much!!!) so we do have a reasonable supply of that. Any other stuff we have is able to be made at home (it is not made up into prescription medication, but the constituent parts to make medication can be attained and held, legally...most the time).

7.Do you keep cash on hand (out of your bank)?
Yes. What's in the wallet and some other little stashes, like in her wallet (she never looks in there).

8.Do you own or know anyone close to where you live who owns a battery-powered or hand crank radio?
Not really a topic of conversation around dinner parties. If there is a solar storm, pretty good odds it's not going to work. But I'm preparing for other possibilities, so a solar storm may not happen, but another catastrophe might. One in which the radio could be useful.

9.Do you keep several gallons of unscented chlorine bleach in your house?
No, because I'm sure there is a legal limit to the amount you can store. We are a law abiding family, and most the family on her side are police or military, so it's really not worth the risk to go black-ops prepping.

If yes, then do you know the percentage of chlorine in the bleach?

Would you know how to disinfect the water using the bleach?
For me, disinfecting water with bleach is a last resort, and something I believe we would not be required to do. However, a few drops of bleach into a litre of water, then left for a while for the excess bleach to evaporate out.

10.Do you own a non-electronic can opener?
Yes. I don't know any families that do own electric can openers. I've ordered a new one the other day, but it's a kitchen one. I love to cook, and this can opener was nearly £30!!! But it's well worth it!!!

11.Do you keep sun cream in your house?
Yes. The wife is pasty and gets sunburn when there's a full moon! We need lots of suncream!!!

12.How much of your food requires refrigeration of some kind?
Probably 35%-45% of what we eat needs refrigeration, having said that, we are both very busy and currently opt for convenience food for 3 out of 4 meals. I cook as often as I can, but time is a major limiting factor. We have all the ingredients for loads of meals, so could convert to 0% refrigeration food if we needed to. It's just easier to have some stuff on hand ready for her to microwave.

13.How often do you go shopping?
Daily. But not all is food shopping.

14.Do you own any buckets?
Serious? This question is bizarre. I don't think there is anyone in the UK that doesn't own a bucket or 2. Everyone uses them to wash their cars!

Oh, looks like I've answered all your questions. OOPS.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 June 2013, 11:35,
these questions are so bizarre and the answers so random and a bit "tongue in cheek", I cannot see how they are of any use to a "project"Huh
17 June 2013, 11:46,
Waiting patiently for the answers to Tarrel's questions from yesterday...

17 June 2013, 11:58,
Let's stop the sniping. Those that want to answer can answer. Those that don't want to simply can ignore this thread. The risk has been pointed out and people can make up their own minds.

The questions were asked politely enough. Let's be polite in our answers.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 June 2013, 18:53,
Still interested to know more about the paper, but here goes...

1.Do you know what a solar storm is and what a large solar storm could do to our society? Yes, I know what one is and have some thoughts on what it could do.
2.How often do you use an elevator? Rarely. I live in the country.
3.Do you have some fresh batteries on standby? Yes
4.When you fill your vehicles fuel tank up, do you fill any fuel containers as well? I have some containers full, but don't have to fill them every time I go to the petrol station.
5.Do you have a non electric cooking option? We have a wood-fired cooking, heating and hot water system, as well as electric, plus propane camping stoves.
6.If you take any prescription medication, do you have enough to last you a couple of months without restocking? N/A
7.Do you keep cash on hand (out of your bank)? Yes
8.Do you own or know anyone close to where you live who owns a battery-powered or hand crank radio? Yes
9.Do you keep several gallons of unscented chlorine bleach in your house? No
If yes, then do you know the percentage of chlorine in the bleach? N/A
Would you know how to disinfect the water using the bleach? Yes
10.Do you own a non-electronic can opener? Yes, the only kind we have
11.Do you keep sun cream in your house? Yes
12.How much of your food requires refrigeration of some kind? Daily use stuff- quite a bit, emergency stores - none.
13.How often do you go shopping? Most days. We buy fresh, in small quantities from local suppliers.
14.Do you own any buckets? Yes

HTH
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
18 June 2013, 10:33,
Sorry I haven't been on for a while, but to answer some of the questions the questions were based off of http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/SSDPP.pdf and some of my own knowledge; the maker or that plan is a nuclear physicist and engineer in the US so I suppose it would be to a more US ordiance.

This is for my extended project qualification with the AQA - about Solar Storms and their effects on society, being english I was merely intrigued as to if worse goes to worst, i.e. national grid failed, how people would react, having asked around my neighbourhood I thought the most logical next step would be to see how the more prepared were, so here I am. I'll post it here when I'm done anyway Smile (If I can, if I can't I'd gladly e-mail anyone who would be interested).

Also Tarrel you might be a little surprised but where I lived anyway there were quite a few people who would use any and all elevators when possible; I also know a few people who can't even work a normal can opener as daft as it sounds :/
18 June 2013, 10:52,
Valkren,

I'd make up my own questions if I were you. Ones a bit more pertinent and, sadly, ones that we may not want to answer but those questions are rubbish.

No 1 is OK. 3 to 9 make a bit of sense.

The questions should be about preparing for the impact of the issues. Such as;
Do you have access to a water source other than the mains
Do you have the means of generating your own electrickery
Do you protect that generation capability from solar flares
etc.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin