Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questionaire for a paper Im writing
18 June 2013, 19:55,
RE: Questionaire for a paper Im writing
Just read the article that Valkren linked to. Now I see where the questions arose from. Interesting that the article focuses on what is likely to happen when the grid goes down, but seems to completely ignore the other effects of a solar storm (I.e. EMP-type effects).

I think this is the big unknown factor with solar storms. There seems to be a general consensus that the power grid is vulnerable to a (possibly prolonged) failure due to transformer damage, but there seems to be a big assumption that a large storm would knock out many smaller circuits, such as car ECUs, etc. Not sure if we know this for a fact, or whether we are just extrapolating from what we know (or think we know) about the EMP effects of a nuclear detonation.

I guess the essence of prepping is "better safe than sorry". It's not really too big a hardship to keep a small radio in a metal box, just in case.

Seeing as the article is written from a US perspective, it would be interesting to compare the vulnerabilities to grid-failure either side of the Atlantic. My gut feel is there a strengths and weaknesses on both sides. For example, in general, folks in the US seem to be more dependent on electricity to perform basic functions inside the home. However, I suspect that more people in the UK are dependent on a pumped mains water supply compared to the US, where private boreholes seem to be more common.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
Questionaire for a paper Im writing - by Valkren - 16 June 2013, 02:43
RE: Questionaire for a paper Im writing - by Tarrel - 18 June 2013, 19:55