Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets look at hazards after TSHTF
20 June 2013, 12:43,

What are we likely to face after a major disaster or societal collapse, We are talking the RISKS and HAZARDS I this thread not the rebuilding process. I have made little or no mention of many systems such as the NHS, Social Services etc as I believe they are already in a state of collapse.

Short Term 0 to 6 months

Inflation
Hyper Inflation
Food and Fuel Shortages
Strikes by the public sector
The stopping of public transport
The Police withdrawn to protecting state assets
999/911 goes unanswered
Power cuts / Brown outs
Interupted water supplies
Rubbish uncollected
Council public services suspended indefinitely
No money in the ATM machines
Banks stop opening
State seizure of public’s savings
Food rationing
Martial Law
Riots, Looting and mass civil disobedience
Large scale fires caused by arson
Surge in predatory violent crime
Seizure of legally held guns
Mobile phone system turned off
Suspension of civil rights and habeas corpus
Troops on the streets
Private Security Contractors on the streets
Street lights, CCTV systems, traffic lights, public toilets etc turned off
Preppers and Survivalists activate their plans.
General public wait for normality to return.
Battery produced animals and exotic pets die off.
Coal / Oil and Gas power stations fall offline
In the US I expect carnage as people use guns as an answer to most issues.

Mid term 6 months to 3 years

Mass outbreaks of disease caused by failure of public hygiene systems (Typhus, Thyphoid, Cholera, E Coli, MRSA, Salmonella, Measles , Mumps, Rubella, Diphtheria, Tetanus. etc)
Mass rioting, Looting and civil unrest
Violence used to access food and fuel supplies
Fire arms used by authorities to restore order
Shops looted and no longer restocked
Food distribution centers taken over by state
Road haulage of essential supplies ceases.
Power and gas and water go off and stay off
Anarchy, mob and gang violence is the norm in many urban areas
Mass deaths of young, old and vulnerable plus victims of animal and human predation
Mass burials of the dead for a while
Solar panels and Wind turbines salvaged and looted from public properties for reuse by survivors.
Highways become hunting grounds for thugs preying on refugees
Unsecured farm animals like hill sheep, dairy cattle etc die off, pigs, goats, semi-wild cattle break out of farms.
Invasive species like Coypu, Wild boar explode in numbers and hunted species like Foxes and Pheasant thrive.
Rats numbers peak and begin to attack dogs, cats and vulnerable humans
Nuclear power stations shut down
Access to anti biotics becomes very difficult and fatalities increase among accidentally injured
Overhead roads, Bridges, Tunnels, Viaducts, Pylons etc start to fail.

Long term 3 to 10 years

Incidents of Bubonic and Pneumonic Plague, TB, Small Pox etc expected
Rodent population explodes massively until food resources are exhausted and die off occurs
Dead left unburied disease outbreaks matched only by plagues of flies.
Fires left to burn themselves out and many areas burn to the ground.
Many areas completely abandoned as resources are depleted.
Troops, Police and Security forces abandon their posts to take care of own families or form own groups.
Mass die off peaks after disease, violence and starvation takes its toll
Survivors and gangs vie for resources and territory
Some water resources / reservoirs become too poisoned to be used
National grid gas, elec and water distribution systems go into disrepair through lack of maintenance.
Many minor roads become impassable because of plant growing and falling trees.
Flooding increases as drains, gullies and storm water systems become clogged or silted up.
Anti-biotics become almost non-existent even small infects can lead to death for the unfortunate
Mass die off of rodents, surviving canines and felines are now completely feral, risk from packs of dogs is equaled by risk from wild pigs and invasive species.
Many bridges and tunnels will become impassable

20 June 2013, 13:27,
RE: Lets look at hazards after TSHTF
we agree with all the above, I think SOME things will happen fasten than the time scale shows, like police and security deserting their posts to look after their families but I think you've got all the bases covered.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 13:31,
Life is a little simpler here, with a few less hazards than you may have awaiting you

But as we see it here,... 0 to 6 months

All local services would start to break down quiet quickly,

Medical cover now is only locums, as we cant keep doctors in this remote part of the world there would soon be no cover at all.

Fire brigade will soon go, we only have one engine now,.. and a trailer that's pulled behind a tractor, we are used to not seeing the fire brigade

Police, we only have two officers now, I really cant see them staying around long

I cant see Council work continuing for long, so no bin men or road maintenance

The unemployed would move out, no social = no money, = no food for them, no holiday makers, many people would move out to stay with family, I really cant see many making the trip this way,.. the Estate workers, fishermen and farmers would still be here

6 months to 3 years.

The place is very quiet, still a few farmers around living off their stock and trying to breed more as fast as possible,.. 6 months - 1 year, the Estates are largely unaffected their work force has long gone though bar just a couple,... although they are loosing a lot of stock through poaching of deer and fish stocks

No services at all

Some deaths have occurred, mainly the very old who wouldn't move or had no-where to go

Many houses left empty, many looted,.. though no rioting here

3 years onwards,.................

Deer population has increased a lot so have fish stocks

Human population =very few, even the larger estates are no different now to normal homes, they are just bigger

Growing and hunting most of what we eat still have some supplies of the long lasting type

No fuel left, walking everywhere,... life is a lot simpler, but a lot harder too
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 13:31,
(20 June 2013, 12:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: Lets look at hazards after TSHTF

What are we likely to face after a major disaster or societal collapse, We are talking the RISKS and HAZARDS I this thread not the rebuilding process. I have made little or no mention of many systems such as the NHS, Social Services etc as I believe they are already in a state of collapse.

Short Term 0 to 6 months

Inflation
Hyper Inflation
Food and Fuel Shortages
Strikes by the public sector
The stopping of public transport
The Police withdrawn to protecting state assets
999/911 goes unanswered
Power cuts / Brown outs
Interupted water supplies
Rubbish uncollected
Council public services suspended indefinitely
No money in the ATM machines
Banks stop opening
State seizure of public’s savings
Food rationing
Martial Law
Riots, Looting and mass civil disobedience
Large scale fires caused by arson
Surge in predatory violent crime
Seizure of legally held guns
Mobile phone system turned off
Suspension of civil rights and habeas corpus
Troops on the streets
Private Security Contractors on the streets
Street lights, CCTV systems, traffic lights, public toilets etc turned off
Preppers and Survivalists activate their plans.
General public wait for normality to return.
Battery produced animals and exotic pets die off.
Coal / Oil and Gas power stations fall offline
In the US I expect carnage as people use guns as an answer to most issues.

Mid term 6 months to 3 years

Mass outbreaks of disease caused by failure of public hygiene systems (Typhus, Thyphoid, Cholera, E Coli, MRSA, Salmonella, Measles , Mumps, Rubella, Diphtheria, Tetanus. etc)
Mass rioting, Looting and civil unrest
Violence used to access food and fuel supplies
Fire arms used by authorities to restore order
Shops looted and no longer restocked
Food distribution centers taken over by state
Road haulage of essential supplies ceases.
Power and gas and water go off and stay off
Anarchy, mob and gang violence is the norm in many urban areas
Mass deaths of young, old and vulnerable plus victims of animal and human predation
Mass burials of the dead for a while
Solar panels and Wind turbines salvaged and looted from public properties for reuse by survivors.
Highways become hunting grounds for thugs preying on refugees
Unsecured farm animals like hill sheep, dairy cattle etc die off, pigs, goats, semi-wild cattle break out of farms.
Invasive species like Coypu, Wild boar explode in numbers and hunted species like Foxes and Pheasant thrive.
Rats numbers peak and begin to attack dogs, cats and vulnerable humans
Nuclear power stations shut down
Access to anti biotics becomes very difficult and fatalities increase among accidentally injured
Overhead roads, Bridges, Tunnels, Viaducts, Pylons etc start to fail.

Long term 3 to 10 years

Incidents of Bubonic and Pneumonic Plague, TB, Small Pox etc expected
Rodent population explodes massively until food resources are exhausted and die off occurs
Dead left unburied disease outbreaks matched only by plagues of flies.
Fires left to burn themselves out and many areas burn to the ground.
Many areas completely abandoned as resources are depleted.
Troops, Police and Security forces abandon their posts to take care of own families or form own groups.
Mass die off peaks after disease, violence and starvation takes its toll
Survivors and gangs vie for resources and territory
Some water resources / reservoirs become too poisoned to be used
National grid gas, elec and water distribution systems go into disrepair through lack of maintenance.
Many minor roads become impassable because of plant growing and falling trees.
Flooding increases as drains, gullies and storm water systems become clogged or silted up.
Anti-biotics become almost non-existent even small infects can lead to death for the unfortunate
Mass die off of rodents, surviving canines and felines are now completely feral, risk from packs of dogs is equaled by risk from wild pigs and invasive species.
Many bridges and tunnels will become impassable

And yet again I bloody well forgot that by the mid term just about every edible piece of wheat, maize, barley etc would have been stripped from the farms. God I'm getting old.

20 June 2013, 13:38,
whats a brown out, please
Survive the jive (youtube )
20 June 2013, 13:49,
NR, the stopping of council services....does that mean the schools will be off as I cant see it on any lists ? Big Grin
20 June 2013, 13:55, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 13:56 by NorthernRaider.)
(20 June 2013, 13:38)Sunna Wrote: whats a brown out, please

Reduction of voltage, usually enough so light bulbs will still work to a degree but often not enough to power appliances. UK used to be 240VAC but then it got dropped permenantly to 230VAC but often even now applances and power supplies can be 220VAC. But during a brownout they cut it so you cannot power energy hungry gear like Washing Machines, Microwaves, Electric Ovens, TVs etc, but do get enough to keep some lights on.

In really bad events you can often interpret a Brown out as a warning of a Black Out to come.

20 June 2013, 13:56,
(20 June 2013, 13:49)RoadWarrior Wrote: NR, the stopping of council services....does that mean the schools will be off as I cant see it on any lists ? Big Grin

oh yes that's another hazard, packs of "feral" chav brats on the loose/rob!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 15:05,
Those are very comprehensive lists NR. I don't think I could add anything significant (I'm still at the stage of trying to persuade SWMBO that we should be covered for a short power cut!) but I have to agree with BP. I can easily imagine many of them occurring sooner than listed.

The thread does have huge value for me though. Talk about focusing the mind...

20 June 2013, 15:08,
I think that these lists CONCENTRATE the mind! not ALL hazards will happen in ALL areas, whilst some will happen in large urban areas some wont happen in rural ones and vice versa! does make one stop and think though.