Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
preparedness is not just about the crisis, it is about the days after as well.
23 June 2013, 15:31,
RE: preparedness is not just about the crisis, it is about the days after as well.
Although my plans are to survive what ever comes, my plans also Include a future for my group, most on here I assume are of the same mind , the only difference as I see things is your location , the other thing is do you go it alone (with your group ) or do you band together with others, the term lone wolf it used here a lot to describe the actions of some........okay me and BP the right way or the wrong way, who knows.....but if joining an extended group is the way for you , good luck with it .....the time frame for total isolation from OTHERS for me would be 12 to 18 months if that is possible , then time for a rethink if needed.
23 June 2013, 15:37, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2013, 16:25 by bigpaul.)
RE: preparedness is not just about the crisis, it is about the days after as well.
(23 June 2013, 15:31)Straight Shooter Wrote: Although my plans are to survive what ever comes, my plans also Include a future for my group, most on here I assume are of the same mind , the only difference as I see things is your location , the other thing is do you go it alone (with your group ) or do you band together with others, the term lone wolf it used here a lot to describe the actions of some........okay me and BP the right way or the wrong way, who knows.....but if joining an extended group is the way for you , good luck with it .....the time frame for total isolation from OTHERS for me would be 12 to 18 months if that is possible , then time for a rethink if needed.

yep SS, thats what I think too, 12-18 months (minimum) TOTAL isolation from any other "group" or "community" until the dust settles, then very CAREFULLY scout and see WHO is around...if any..

as I am expecting a large "die off" and my area is sparsely populated even in the good times, i'm not really expecting to see many people post shtf.

given that the UK cannot feed ALL the population without supplies from abroad, I am expecting something in the region of a 75%+ fatality rate.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 June 2013, 21:38,
If I can get through the first 3 to 6 months BP I think my group could make it on through BUT its those first months THE BIGGEST most DANGEROUS threat, THAT is what most worries me, the unpredictable actions of the none prepared , just because we are prepared does NOT ensure success.
23 June 2013, 23:09,
SS,

I see it being up to 18 months, not 2 or 3.

People are survivors, especially those that have little in society. Depending on timing; if near winter, I see them living through that winter easily, they will not be that weak and the cold and lack of food will get the really weak. Then they will be into summer, food will be around plants growing and they will not eat well, many will die but plenty will survive. The next winter though will see no stored food, this will be the time when the last of those who won't make it will die. This could be 15 months from an event. If the event happens near the end or just after winter then competition will be fierce for food, many will survive on tins, plants etc. as above but then the first winter they hit will have them without food. That will be the main die off around 9 months.

So up to 10 months or up to 18 months will be the most dangerous time for us. That is why I'm planning for an 18 month bug in.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 June 2013, 08:48,
(23 June 2013, 23:09)Skean Dhude Wrote: SS,

People are survivors, especially those that have little in society. Depending on timing; if near winter, I see them living through that winter easily, they will not be that weak and the cold and lack of food will get the really weak. Then they will be into summer, food will be around plants growing and they will not eat well, many will die but plenty will survive. The next winter though will see no stored food, this will be the time when the last of those who won't make it will die. This could be 15 months from an event. If the event happens near the end or just after winter then competition will be fierce for food, many will survive on tins, plants etc. as above but then the first winter they hit will have them without food. That will be the main die off around 9 months.

So up to 10 months or up to 18 months will be the most dangerous time for us. That is why I'm planning for an 18 month bug in.

how is ANYONE without stored food, and more importantly a way to cook it going to survive?, I think the main die off will be the first winter after TSHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 June 2013, 00:19,
I am not so sure BP....SD has put a good case when I say 3 to 6 months my real meaning here is we will have the real idea of what is and the experiences to go with that timescale, just because we have prepared does not make us bullet proof ...the reality is in our heads we think we are stronger than and have the foresight to deal better with shtf than joe average ..... survival is inherent in ALL humans even sheeple , it would be a big mistake to underestimate anyone , and the longer it go's on only the strongest or most adaptable will prevail and that means problems for the likes of us....if you think you will be gardening, keeping and tending animals, making boots, milling flour, baking bread and in general, back in touch with mother earth .....living a simple life and in harmony with all living things although nice lovely and great .......forget it .....in your lifetime friends.....maybe down the line of a generation or 2.........but we will be fighting for those coming after us ...I have no false elusions .. Hard times is what we will get, and be forced to deal with on a daily basis...... long haul......so lets NOT get complacent its not a game , it IS survival ....there are NO safe places , after SDs 15 months what you can expect are formidable foe and equal to you, that's if you make it bugged in for that long making NO mistakes .......no mean task fellow preppers ....I wish us all luck cause we are going to need every bit of it, that you can ,bank on. note to self and my mate BP WE may want to isolate ourselves from the masses BUT the masses want to couch up to us for what we have....and slit our throats in the process. the trick is how? we avoid it. remember folks its a hard thing to envisage all this, none of us have lived it ....learn quick or die fast.
25 June 2013, 06:57,
(24 June 2013, 08:48)bigpaul Wrote:
(23 June 2013, 23:09)Skean Dhude Wrote: SS,

how is ANYONE without stored food, and more importantly a way to cook it going to survive?, I think the main die off will be the first winter after TSHTF.

The world is FULL of food, it's just knowing where to look, i've just spotted an embankment FULL of wild garlic, i'm gonna try my hand at wild garlic oil.

I've always said i don't have much stores, i've enough to get me past a snowstorm/driver strike or other inconveniences, but i'm certainly not looking to store years worth.

and tbh anyone that can't make a fire post event is a done for by first winter anyways.

and those that can start a fire, and cant work out that you can cook in an old tin won't last till winter.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
25 June 2013, 08:24,
(25 June 2013, 06:57)Binnie Wrote: and tbh anyone that can't make a fire post event is a done for by first winter anyways.

and those that can start a fire, and cant work out that you can cook in an old tin won't last till winter.
that was the point I was trying to make, I think sometimes we give sheeple too much credit,there are a lot of people out there who CANT lay and light an open fire, who CANT live with out freezers, microwaves, Xboxes and the like...they just DONT know how!