Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So as the summer lull passes by
21 June 2013, 19:47,
Rainbow  So as the summer lull passes by
So as the summer lull passes by
NR

Ah yes its summer it’s so easy to tell, it’s stopped snowing, people are planning holidays and the prepper forums start to drift into their summer semi state of hibernation, nothing bad ever happens in summer.

The longer days, higher temps, brighter skies help obscure the more depressing aspects of life in 2013 with raging economic crisis, high unemployment, civil unrest, crazed extremists plotting nasty surprises for vulnerable targets of opportunity.

Summer’s here and the livin is easeeeeeeeee!

Ignore the diminished pile of firewood
Erode the stored supplies
Skip the archery practice
Buy the GTI instead of the MPV
Watch a movie not the news
Dodge checking and cleaning the kit
Let the fuel tank drop to under a ¼
Don’t repair the fence
Put off fitting the extra locks
Delay the bulk buying trip that wide screen TV is a bargain instead

Oh the tyres LOOK alright
I’ll oil it later
Naaa I’ll visit the forum later nowts happening
I don’t need new maps this year
Who’s going to find my cache, I know it’s safe
I’ll wait till the end of the season to buy more grain for flour
No I didn’t check the water filter but it will be OK
Aaah don’t worry it will be on offer again later
Like who is going to come around here after dark
Hah the government will never do that there would be riots if they tried
Oh its months till winter, I’ll sort the car before then

What can possibly go wrong ????

21 June 2013, 20:00,
RE: So as the summer lull passes by
Stoppit! You're making me cry!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
21 June 2013, 20:10,
a well made point, we know we should be getting on with things but the lizard part of our brain is saying "life is good, I know winter is coming but lets deal with that later, enjoy the sun and eat some berries"

Now is a great time to be preparing for winter as no-one is buying wool blankets, thermals and 2nd hand boots, I got 3 double 100% wool blankets a few weeks ago for £1 each as the charity shop needed the space for summer wear.

In a few months time people will be looking for wood and warm clothing so get them now while everyone else is enjoying the sun. You can't prep every day of your life, you have to have days off to enjoy the summer too, but even doing a small thing everyday adds up to a better chance of survival.
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
21 June 2013, 20:13,
I just know in my gut that Murphy and his law is just waiting to leap out to sink his teeth into the collective asses of those who get complacent

21 June 2013, 20:17,
I do something to prep every day, may NOT be buying some new kit every day, could be just finding a bit of new information, might be adjusting whats in my pack, cutting some firewood, adding to my gas bottle collection, or filling up the fuel cans, but I try and do "something" each day.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 June 2013, 21:40,
Well we dont go away anywhere except for a day at a time,..so I am always where the prepping is,...and I do manage to do at least some preps every day,.. little things like the polly tunnel, sawing a few logs, today I put more food in our hidden store, and boxed up two boxes of medical supplies,... mind you we are on holiday this week and next, so that helps

...... but, No, our guard is never down
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 June 2013, 23:07,
I personally do a prep/s every day.....wether it be can rotations ,re-pack our emergency grab bags/inventory lists, taking stuff to work to sharpen/make a prepp item from wood (hand fishing line /knife handles/tinder stock up)or just empty the boot of the car/ re-pack etc......I make sure I do it and I enjoy that "fix"....im one of the unlucky preppers that have to go to work and cant "monitor" the forum 8 hours aday ....if I cud I would ...believe me.! my mind ticks over all the time....last week i9 made an 18"x 18" archery target ply box with foam inserts 12" deep and softwood back stops ...it very rewarding doing stuff yourself IMO so wether the sun shines or the rain falls ......be it a week day or weekend......theres a saying in the funeral trade and that is "Death doesn't care wether its a weekend or bank holiday " and I apply the same to my prepps cos the shit cud hit the fan on ANY DAY ANY TIME ANY HOUR ! ......RW
21 June 2013, 23:35,
good points NR, and a good song too!

summertime is for working off the extra weight added over the winter.

heres a link to the song as sung by Ella Fitzgerald, featuring Louis Armstrong. classic

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=song...ORM=NVPFVR
22 June 2013, 08:26,
I couldn't read all of this initial post. I was hoping for helpful information, but had to stop reading.

1. Summer, we are burning no firewood because it's hot.
2. Summer, we are stocking up on BBQ coal for cooking.
3. Summer, it's riot season, BP usually does a riot season warning for us.
4. Summer, why would you eat beans when it's ice cream weather?
5. Summer, screw that widescreen TV, summer is for being outside!!!
6. Summer, WAHOO!!! Winter gear is on offer, we all know that.
7. Summer, damn right I'll watch a film if I want! Whatever season it is.
8. Summer, BBQ season, more food is on special offer as people BBQ-Binge!
9. Summer, shopping for BBQ stuff, might as well stock up on extra.....beans haha.
10. Summer, camping season! Blatantly gear needs to be well kept+maintained.
11. Summer, why would my IQ drop by 50 points?
12. Summer, what's wrong with checking this forum?
13. Summer, camping = driving = always keep car filled up.
14. Summer, DIY season! Perfect time to sort those locks!
15. Summer, gardening season! Reporting plants time.

Sorry NR, just because it's summer, we don't become retarded. Maybe others do, but not those on this forum.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 June 2013, 09:30, (This post was last modified: 22 June 2013, 09:33 by NorthernRaider.)
Is not 100% original NR I got it from an E mail group of preppers who are more exerienced than me and modified, They have seen how a bit of complacency can leap up and bite anyone from the novice to preppers who have doing it for years but let the warm long sunny days get the better of them.

I'm a guilty as anyone else especially since I started doing voluntary work again with the Transition movement and Social justice crowd at the Uni, its very easy to let things slide a bit.