Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Climbing / Abeiling in NE
22 June 2013, 12:00,
RE: Rock Climbing / Abeiling in NE
Falling from the top of a tree is no different to falling off a sofa, its the splat that the end thats the problem ( Tigger to Winnie The Pooh)

22 June 2013, 12:13, (This post was last modified: 22 June 2013, 12:13 by Arnie72.)
Sorry but I have tried it once and hated it - felt sorry for the guy belaying me as I am 6'5 built like a brick outhouse (2nd row rugby player) and 18 stone he had his work cut out for him -mind you gave him a good work out tho!

So unfortunately if a SHTF needs rock climbing or abseiling I'm stuffed!
22 June 2013, 14:41,
strange I was talking to a friend today who told me about this place and then you post a link for it .... Cool
looks good and suitable for all ages and ability levels also
23 June 2013, 09:15, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2013, 09:18 by Scythe13.)
NorthWestFace, Warrington. That was my regular visit site. The wife and I pop down Exeter sometimes, but Bristol has a couple of good places too.

But to be fair, how many times will you be rock-climbing post SHTF? I've thought about this, and to me it seems like a totally BS idea! That's the kind of thing you'll get yourself killed doing, post SHTF!!!

To be a proficient lead climber, you need to have been doing it for a long time, and the equipment builds up, in price and weight. When I was at TNWF, I used to do chin-ups while carrying by backpack with all my gear in. At uni, I did the same at Clangorse Rock Centre (I think I spelt that wrong). The thing is, when you start to build a sweat, you'll fall. Chalk is temporary, and is a dead giveaway you've been somewhere.

If I see someone rock-climbing post SHTF, I'll laugh my head off. Unless your life depends on it, post SHTF, it's not something I'd bother doing.

(22 June 2013, 12:13)Arnie72 Wrote: Sorry but I have tried it once and hated it - felt sorry for the guy belaying me as I am 6'5 built like a brick outhouse (2nd row rugby player) and 18 stone he had his work cut out for him -mind you gave him a good work out tho!

So unfortunately if a SHTF needs rock climbing or abseiling I'm stuffed!

Did he bag up?

When I was 16 stone, my friend used to belay for me, he weighed about 11 stone. He once let me down a bit too fast, and he came up a few feet (about 3 or 4) before he realised he'd forgotten to clip into a sandbag! Was hysterical. So glad he didn't panic and let go of the rope!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 June 2013, 09:58, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2013, 10:00 by NorthernRaider.)
Aye NR junior is now going to do the rope training in Edinburgh, as well as going up he will learn how to abseil down the outside of buildings ( great if you are trapped or cornered or the building may be unsafe whilst you look for kit to salvage), down simulated caves (could double up as escaping life shafts) Crossing ravines and water ways etc and of course a good number of us are going to need those rope skills after TSHTF for running antennas up onto the roof and for scalling trees for making hides, ops or just to chop chunks of wood of overgrown trees. Yup I wish I had paid more attention to mastering ropes I can remember my teams attemt to build a raft out of barrels and rope at Stainsacre, bloody thing fell apart as soon as we got on but the guys from the fell rescue org knew their ropes much better and their raft only sagged slightly but stayed intact long enough to get to the other side. I'd probably drown if I tried it again now Smile

(22 June 2013, 14:41)Mosstrooper Wrote: strange I was talking to a friend today who told me about this place and then you post a link for it .... Cool
looks good and suitable for all ages and ability levels also

Could be an interesting place if enough northerners are interested for RW to hold an RV in the future??

23 June 2013, 10:02,
Learning to abseil is useful, I get that, but climbing isn't really something I'll be doing post SHTF....unless my life depended on it. If that was the case, who's going to volunteer while I lead?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 June 2013, 10:06,
(23 June 2013, 09:58)NorthernRaider Wrote: Aye NR junior is now going to do the rope training in Edinburgh, as well as going up he will learn how to abseil down the outside of buildings ( great if you are trapped or cornered or the building may be unsafe whilst you look for kit to salvage), down simulated caves (could double up as escaping life shafts) Crossing ravines and water ways etc and of course a good number of us are going to need those rope skills after TSHTF for running antennas up onto the roof and for scalling trees for making hides, ops or just to chop chunks of wood of overgrown trees.

YES I know I just got PMed and put in my place, Yes I should have said recovering solar panels and putting em up if needed, and snaffled or erm recycled wind turbines going up and down will also need ropework, Hey its Sunday and I've only had one coffee gimme a break Smile

23 June 2013, 11:47,
Scythe,

There are many reasons for climbing before and after an event so it is certainly not a bullshit idea. Like everything else you need to learn while it is safe. Wasn't that your reasoning for trying to saw wood left handed?

Personally, I think it is a good recommendation.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 June 2013, 12:55,
cud come in v handy for building a hideout up in the trees ...I mean wayup too .....or even a shooting platform to sit and wait for the odd deer to pass by !!... but like I said im mega scared of heights. Sad
23 June 2013, 13:00,
(23 June 2013, 12:55)RoadWarrior Wrote: cud come in v handy for building a hideout up in the trees ...I mean wayup too .....or even a shooting platform to sit and wait for the odd deer to pass by !!... but like I said im mega scared of heights. Sad

I'm definately no expert on hunting deer with bows but nearly everything I have read or seen on You Tube about American deer hunting with bows has as you rightly point out has them hiding on shooting platforms up trees over the deers migratory routes.