Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preppers and Classic Cars
22 June 2013, 22:02,
RE: Preppers and Classic Cars
There was another thread recently that highlighted the virtues of diesel power. I.M.O. that would be the way to go. The engines last far longer as well. There are plenty of old 4x4 diesels still knocking about, especially the old series landys. TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
22 June 2013, 22:04,
(22 June 2013, 21:58)Tarrel Wrote: If going for petrol, maybe worth having something that will run on unleaded. For example, the LR Series 3 will, by I'm not sure about the Series 2 or 2a. Diesel is a better option, but less common in the type of cars being discussed.

I love my Series 3. Easy to fix, particularly in the field. Virtually unstoppable. We broke a rear half-shaft last year. Just stuck it in four wheel drive and carried on, using the drive to the front wheels! Very EMP-resilient, and parts so cheap you can afford to basically store a replacement car in boxes in your garage. Very easy to modify and customise, from putting in storage-units, to converting it to a camper, to putting in additional electrics and secondary battery. Excellent off-road. Mine copes with our woodland better than the Defender. It's much lighter. It's a 1981 and cost me £1400.

What I should really do is stick a normally-aspirated diesel in it. That way, given a decent set of spares, I imagine it would keep me going well after TSHTF. You can stick pretty much anything in a basic diesel; cooking oil, heating oil, Jet A1...

Try a 300 tdi engine last of the ECU engines
Failure is NOT an option
22 June 2013, 22:13,
(22 June 2013, 22:02)Timelord Wrote: There was another thread recently that highlighted the virtues of diesel power. I.M.O. that would be the way to go. The engines last far longer as well. There are plenty of old 4x4 diesels still knocking about, especially the old series landys. TL

I was just saying to Mrs NR that if the budget was available I would probably stick a 2.5 DI diesel lump out of a transit into a series 2 Landy !!!

22 June 2013, 22:18,
Unless you already have the transit engine, then a 200TDI Discovery engine is the easiest and most cost effective way to go. This has less modifications to do and is a standard landy mod. Along with the gearbox transplant it would make the vehicle much more usable and still fairly low tech.
22 June 2013, 22:36,
I was just dreaming out aloud mate Smile,

22 June 2013, 23:03,
Oh Ok Smile I have guy down my way that picks up cheap pajero's for breaking. Some of these are too good to break and only need minor fixing to be good again. MK1 to 2 models. swb & lwb. 2.5 Diesels with manual or auto boxes & fwh. Original design launched 1983, so "old school" tech. Always a possibility for a cheap rugged prep vehicle..... Regards, TL
23 June 2013, 10:40,
trouble with diesel vehicles I find, personally, is they ALL sound like a "bucket of bolts" and I can smell diesel a mile off! post shtf when it will be really quiet they will be heard coming for miles...not good for a scouting or scavenging vehicle at all.... just my personal opinion.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 June 2013, 13:29,
UKS, the "ECU" on a vehicle ..often referred to as the "brain" as it contains a micro-chip......cant see any vehicle being any good in this situation (an EMP event) that's why I we meant ..plugs points... old skool tech...the only thing..vehicle/transport wise with a "chip" in it any good after an emp...will be a horse with a tag in its ear !!Big Grin
23 June 2013, 14:37,
(22 June 2013, 15:40)RoadWarrior Wrote: ....she hated the smell of the inside and of petrol too !

my wife's the same..... but that's one of my favourite things about classic cars!

I dream about getting something pre-1973. a big 4 door sedan, v-8, sits about 20. has nothing to do with prepping though, more about cruising to the beach on the weekends.
23 June 2013, 15:30,
(23 June 2013, 13:29)RoadWarrior Wrote: UKS, the "ECU" on a vehicle ..often referred to as the "brain" as it contains a micro-chip......cant see any vehicle being any good in this situation (an EMP event) that's why I we meant ..plugs points... old skool tech...the only thing..vehicle/transport wise with a "chip" in it any good after an emp...will be a horse with a tag in its ear !!Big Grin

The 300 tdi I quoted does not have ecu to control it that's why I suggested that engine. Even with points the condenser & coil, will also fry with an emp blast.
Failure is NOT an option