Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenario 7 (The Rifle)
26 August 2013, 17:32,
RE: Scenario 7 (The Rifle)
400 rounds is good for a half day at the range. My own personal goal is a minimum of 1,000 rounds per each firearm. The 9mm carbine is a nice little weapon at 50 meters or so. The additional barrel length provides both increased muzzle velocity and increased accuracy. In fact, my personal favorite rifle is a model 995 Highpoint with iron sights, but otherwise all the "trimmings". Since we're planning on "bugging-in" and live in town, 50m is about the longest shot I can take without another house or building getting in the way (unless I stood out in the middle of the street).

BP, I hope those in England will share your sentiments and eschew the use of firearms, but from what I've seen here, anti-gun laws just disarm the law-abiding. The crooks have and use guns, and probably always will.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
26 August 2013, 18:39,
Sorry BP, but for those that are able to get a license, it's a damn good idea (in my opinion) to get one.

Granted a bow can be useful, I'm not knocking them at all! Neither am I knocking air rifles/pistol. But let's be serious, there is nothing that says you cannot have a rifle and an air-rifle AND a crossbow...AND a bow and arrow!!! By deciding to have one and not the other, people restrict their capabilities.

If I want to get a rifle, and some idiot pops in with the words, I can shoot my bow silently....blar blar blar...well congratulations, I can shoot my bow silently. I can also loose off 50 rounds before you've managed to reload for your third shot.

I am not against any other tools. But by other people behaving against FAC's they're making themselves look bad. I agree, we should not become a gun obsessed forum. From the approach so many are taking, it's unlikely we will go that way. However, neither should we be all bows and arrows. Why not have your cake and eat it? Air rifles....yes. Bows....yes. Crossbows.....yes. Guns........yes. It completely makes sense to have all of them, as long as you can afford it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 August 2013, 18:44, (This post was last modified: 26 August 2013, 18:58 by Midnitemo.)
Definately agree with the above post options options options...things break things run out ....i fully intend to purchase all the above tools mentioned and i intend to be competent with them all.

I might even get my fac back as i unintentionally befriended the secretary of my local gun club(will be telling him to vary his route home....sunna!!!!)

(26 August 2013, 17:32)Jonas Wrote: 400 rounds is good for a half day at the range. My own personal goal is a minimum of 1,000 rounds per each firearm. The 9mm carbine is a nice little weapon at 50 meters or so. The additional barrel length provides both increased muzzle velocity and increased accuracy. In fact, my personal favorite rifle is a model 995 Highpoint with iron sights, but otherwise all the "trimmings". Since we're planning on "bugging-in" and live in town, 50m is about the longest shot I can take without another house or building getting in the way (unless I stood out in the middle of the street).

BP, I hope those in England will share your sentiments and eschew the use of firearms, but from what I've seen here, anti-gun laws just disarm the law-abiding. The crooks have and use guns, and probably always will.

Blimey a 1000 rounds per gun per range day.....that's more rounds than i shot in a year....jeez ammo must be cheap in Texas.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 August 2013, 11:02,
that's just the point JP, criminals have guns- you don't think they have a FAC do you?? if people want a FAC then get one by all means, but please stop banging on about it all the time as if that was all prepping is about-IT ISNT!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 August 2013, 15:01,
(26 August 2013, 16:27)bigpaul Wrote:
(26 August 2013, 16:24)Steve Wrote: Should've bought a .308 and a 12g Mossberg plus reloading gear, bullet moulds, powder and primers.

oh god, save us from the guns, bullets and band aid brigade, this is England for crying out loud.

this is why I didn't stay long on any American sites, there all full of guns, gunpowder and bullet moulds, I would hate to see the British sites full up with the same.

When I can run fast enough to catch a deer I'll give up my rifle.

Would you like me to give up my tractor too ? and maybe the plough ? I can always use a spade after all.

And what about wheels ? Invention of the devil, I'll just drag things about like my ancestors.

TongueBig Grin
27 August 2013, 15:09,
(27 August 2013, 15:01)Steve Wrote: When I can run fast enough to catch a deer I'll give up my rifle.

Would you like me to give up my tractor too ? and maybe the plough ? I can always use a spade after all.

And what about wheels ? Invention of the devil, I'll just drag things about like my ancestors.

TongueBig Grin
whats that got to do with guns??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 August 2013, 16:16,
I am getting a bit sick of having every firearms related thread trolled, then shut down for turning into a personal battle. It has turned into an art form on this forum.

It is time to say the words the mods will not; contribute positively or shut the F#*k up!

Just because one does not believe in guns does not mean they do not exist, or that they should not be educationally discussed in a survival context or as survival tools.
27 August 2013, 16:50,
OK BP, for those semi-illiterate colonists (like me) who don't speak anything but Texan, WTF is FAC? Big Grin
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
27 August 2013, 16:56,
(27 August 2013, 16:50)Jonas Wrote: OK BP, for those semi-illiterate colonists (like me) who don't speak anything but Texan, WTF is FAC? Big Grin

Fire Arms Certificate! what you need in this country before you can buy a gun or any ammo. I am not against guns in any shape or form-far from it, I just would hate it if this forum gets taken over and flooded with gun threads(and nothing else) like I have seen on the American sites, a gun is a TOOL and nothing more.
27 August 2013, 17:03,
(27 August 2013, 16:56)bigpaul Wrote:
(27 August 2013, 16:50)Jonas Wrote: OK BP, for those semi-illiterate colonists (like me) who don't speak anything but Texan, WTF is FAC? Big Grin

Fire Arms Certificate! what you need in this country before you can buy a gun or any ammo. I am not against guns in any shape or form-far from it, I just would hate it if this forum gets taken over and flooded with gun threads(and nothing else) like I have seen on the American sites, a gun is a TOOL and nothing more.

BP you sure do know how to take over a thread!

Perhaps badly managed forums get over whelmed by single issue interest. Well managed ones move firearms related, medical related, communications related, food prep or any other specialty threads to their proper sections so that people with no proper interest or knowledge can stay out of the discussion.

Go away and let the people that have firearms, or want to acquire them, talk to each other.