Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fit, or Fit for the Purpose
23 June 2013, 11:14,
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose
BP,

I'm preppy much the same but I think you may have overestimated off road. Try it. I think it works out at less than 1MPG
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 June 2013, 11:18,
(23 June 2013, 11:14)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP,

I'm preppy much the same but I think you may have overestimated off road. Try it. I think it works out at less than 1MPG

depend on the terrain I guess SD!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 June 2013, 11:55,
BO, Yes.

I see off road as muddy fields next to the road, hedges, gates, streams.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 June 2013, 12:48, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2013, 12:55 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Just for information, in mountaineering/hillwalking terms (and that's generally quite rough ground,) a fit person with a pack is estimated to cover the ground at 3mph/5kph (20 min per mile/12 min per km). This formula is used to estimate distances achievable, time to objective and in micro-nav in poor visibility, as a measure of short stages following a bearing.

There's an addition to that, adding 1 min per contour climbed...

No, that's not right... 1 min per 50' height gain? Damn - it's been a while!

Sod it - see Glenmore Lodge for the height gain bit...

23 June 2013, 12:57,
(23 June 2013, 12:48)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Just for information, in mountaineering/hillwalking terms (and that's generally quite rough ground,) a fit person with a pack is estimated to cover the ground at 3mph/5kph (20 min per mile/12 min per km). This formula is used to estimate distances achievable, time to objective and in micro-nav in poor visibility, as a measure of short stages following a bearing.

There's an addition to that, adding 1 min per contour climbed...

No, that's not right... 1 min per 50' height gain? Damn - it's been a while!

Sod it - see Glenmore Lodge for the height gain bit...

I thought sensible people and Light Infantrymen walked ROUND nasty hills Smile
23 June 2013, 12:58, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2013, 12:58 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Because it's there NR - because it's there...

Or look up Naismith's rule...

23 June 2013, 13:04,
Prefer the Riflemans rule " Do it the easiest way" Smile
23 June 2013, 13:09,
lets face it folks....fitness isn't a packet you can buy of the shelves at Tesco ! a lot of us are over 40...and don't have time for the gym.........I personally cudnt afford the membership or spare the time........some of us have medical problems and other ailments....so when the shit hits our fan ....its how you are at the condition/shape/weight of our bodys....and that's the hand we have been dealt...and that's the same hand that we we will be holding come the event ! I think an exta layer of fat will be a huge bonus (.that's what I told the wife too) to me ....its like whatever clothes your wearing when you get knocked over by a double decker bus ....there will not be time to put on clean undies....IMO ..be as you feel happy in ...love your body...for that is what/who you are !
23 June 2013, 14:35,
Don't worry you old buggers, us fit youngsters will look after you's Wink
Winter is coming
23 June 2013, 14:47, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2013, 15:01 by bigpaul.)
don't worry on my concern Hex, I can look after myself!Big Grin

talking about walking, its a known fact(courtesy of the local tourist board) that 90% of visitors to Dartmoor walk LESS than 100 yards from their cars.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.