Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fit, or Fit for the Purpose
23 June 2013, 15:06,
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose
I am still reasonably fit , could I run a mile or even jog a mile , no I doubt it, walk it no problem, I used to look for it.... work that is....I hide a bit lately , but I can go on all day so long as I have a wiff at regular intervals , and this is what I do, its suppressing what you can get done, fit and ready for shtf yes I know I am and what I lack in any shortage of fitness my brain will compensate for.
23 June 2013, 15:22,
(23 June 2013, 15:06)Straight Shooter Wrote: I am still reasonably fit , could I run a mile or even jog a mile , no I doubt it, walk it no problem, I used to look for it.... work that is....I hide a bit lately , but I can go on all day so long as I have a wiff at regular intervals , and this is what I do, its suppressing what you can get done, fit and ready for shtf yes I know I am and what I lack in any shortage of fitness my brain will compensate for.

that's right SS, brain will win over brawn any day!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 June 2013, 15:47,
(23 June 2013, 12:57)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(23 June 2013, 12:48)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Just for information, in mountaineering/hillwalking terms (and that's generally quite rough ground,) a fit person with a pack is estimated to cover the ground at 3mph/5kph (20 min per mile/12 min per km). This formula is used to estimate distances achievable, time to objective and in micro-nav in poor visibility, as a measure of short stages following a bearing.

There's an addition to that, adding 1 min per contour climbed...

No, that's not right... 1 min per 50' height gain? Damn - it's been a while!

Sod it - see Glenmore Lodge for the height gain bit...

I thought sensible people and Light Infantrymen walked ROUND nasty hills Smile

Also as an ex-Light Infanryman,.. this is about as I remember it,.. and I dont think we ever walked around the bloody hills Smile

Its already been said, but just to give my view, I am overweight, yet I walk the hills around my place most days with the dogs, usualy for about an hour and a half, but often for up to six hours at a time,.. yet I dont seem to loose a lot of weight,...and it is very rough country around here.

So walking is not a problem,..I dont run unless I have to, especially on rough ground

We all have different expectations, and I personally think that as long as you think you are fit enough to meet those expectation, then you are fit enough,...

Getting fitter of course would make things easier, and would possibly increase your expectations, but we are not always able to do that, for instance I am not about to jog around the place, and the nearest Gym is,.. not sure, but a long way away,..so I am limited to what I am doing now
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 June 2013, 10:54,
I totally get where everyone is coming from in regards to fitness.

Where you are right now is where you will be if TSHTF straight away. If TSHTF in a years time, you have substantial time to effect your level of fitness over the twelve months from now until then.

Age is a factor, but only in as much as you limit yourself more than your body limits you. I used to train with a guy whom puts me to shame. I doubt I'll be as fit as him...ever! He makes 95% of the British population look pathetic. He trains like a beast, pumps crazy weights, does crazy fitness exercises, has a perfect diet, still competes in bodybuilding, and is in phenomenal condition.....oh, forgot to mention, he's over 70 (I think he's 76 this year)!!!

Studies have shown that older people who start exercising, generally live to a greater age than those that don't. Also, exercise reduces the speed of mental deterioration.

When I say exercise, I'm not talking about walking, or the gym. Exercise should be defined as a series of movements specifically designed to increase resting heart rate or muscular contraction, for a specific purpose. If I go out on my bike, I do that to push my limits over a certain distance. If I am lifting weights, I do that for strength, endurance, power, or whatever purpose I decide I'm working out for. If I run, I do it to raise my heart rate and break a sweat. If I go to the park and chase dogs, that's leisure time!!! VERY DIFFERENT from exercise. Does that make sense?

Exercise is more specific than leisure. Confusing the two will complicate and blur lines. If you keep the two separate, you'll quickly redefine how much you exercise.

Don't get me wrong, chopping wood can be a workout, but there is a difference between chopping wood as fast as possible, to get your heart rate right up and build muscle-memory into your body, than getting a stack of wood and chopping it up over an afternoon. The differences will be speed of replacing the log, force exerted per chop, rate of stacking the wood, and the alike. Carrying a sack of potatoes is a chore. Running with a stack of potatoes to get the job done as quickly as possible, and making a detour around the field to increase the intensity of effort, that's exercise.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 June 2013, 11:45,
I think that the saying, `No pain, No gain` was coined in the Army, because they always said [ or made us ] work until you were at least in a tired condition saying that the most benefit gained is achieved after the body starts to become stressed,... otherwise all you were doing was exercise for recreation.

My limit these days is that when I come off the hill with the dogs, my legs are tired and I am breathing heavy, and sweaty if the weather is warm, and warm if the weathers cold

so I think I am happy with the amount of exercise I am getting,..add to that other more manageable things like sawing/chopping wood,..and that will do me

.... my work also entails a certain amount of exercise.
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 June 2013, 11:50,
The thing is, we'll never know how much is enough until it's too late to make adjustments. That's true with not just fitness, but also food, water, and much more.

As long as you're happy with where you are, that's cool. Enjoy. If you think you'll need more, that's when you need to start taking things more seriously. If you're fit for purpose, as far as you're going to need....then who cares what other people think?

I post about fitness to raise awareness, but also to offer support, help, and advice, for those that want to develop and improve. For those that don't feel they need to, rock on!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin