Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skills List for Preppers FFT
24 June 2013, 09:40,
Skills List for Preppers FFT
Skills List for Preppers
NR © 2013

Have you ever thought about the long term implications of a societal collapse and the associated skills you will need to master and pass on to your children and grandchildren if they are not to slide back into basic subsistence living like one sees in devastated nations in say central Africa or Haiti?

Below is a quick off the top of my head list, and reading it back makes me feel woefully inadequate and worried sick about ensuring my families kids are suitable skilled and trained for the future.

Archery
First aid
Black powder making
Cooking
Composting
Gardening for food vegetables
Small Animal husbandry including milking, shearing, hoof care etc
Skill at arms
Bowyering and Arrow smithing
Bow String Making
Reloading Ammunition
Black powder making
Soldering/ tinning/brazing/welding
Vehicle Maintenance
Horse riding
Skinning and gutting game and fish
Basic Boat Sailing
Game animal stalking
Hunting
Canoeing / Kayaking
Navigating using Map and Compass
Camp fire making
Water pump maintenance
Cycling
Swimming
Wild food foraging
Basic Carpentry
Rock climbing/abseiling/rope work
Basic Electrics
Basic Bricklaying
Knowledge of PV systems
Knowledge of Wind Turbines
Knowledge of Water filter systems
How to sew and darn
Basic Leatherwork (Make belt or quiver or repair boots etc)
Basic cloth weaving
Bee Keeping
Field craft and Bush craft
How to preserve food (salting, smoking, pickling, canning etc)
Homeopathic medicine intro
Rope Making
Bread Making
Recce Patrolling
Angling
Log Splitting / firewood cutting
How to use a chain saw safely and maintenance
Amateur radio and CB radio operation
Improvising Antenna
How to make compost
Tree felling
How to use a Knife safely
Riding a Motorcycle / Quad
Making alcohol for fuel / disinfectant
Chimney cleaning
Candle Making
Knife and Saw sharpening
Tool sharpening
Raft building
Sail making
Concealing and camouflaging
Cobbling
Charcoal Making
Puncture repairing
Cheese Making
Jam and Preserve making
Irrigation and draining system maintenance

24 June 2013, 10:46,
RE: Skills List for Preppers FFT
Thats a big list, and you could probably double it's size at minimum of useful/essential skills.

One person can never know enough about everything, there is not enough time to gain a useful knowledge of everything you might need which, in my opinion, is why communities and trade will always come back in one form or another.

Just as a simple example, If you break your leg you need to know the person who can fix it for you, that means knowing who they are and living close enough for that person to help. That person also isn't going to help you for free, he needs to survive as well so he trades his medical skills for something you have.

I know there are plenty who favour the lone wolf approach and I also think it is a valid approach, at least initially, but unless you are superhuman there is no way on this earth that you can learn all the skills you might possibly need.
24 June 2013, 12:12,
By the left NR, you know how to stick it to a guy!

I was going to comment on your other skills thread, "All of them". This list makes that answer just a little trite...

More grist to the mill...Smile

24 June 2013, 16:30,
Yes GG, but you are not going to need all that list, if you look at it,..

Field craft and Bush craft,..covers... Hunting, camp fire making, Navigation/map/compass, Wild food foraging, recce patroling

...and Archery, would cover,... Bowyering/arrow smithing, Bow string making, Game animal stalking

You can put others into groups too,.. which helps anyone who wants to learn something useful, he or she could put this list into groups and go for the one that is most appropriate to them
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 June 2013, 16:45,
(24 June 2013, 16:30)Highlander Wrote: Yes GG, but you are not going to need all that list, if you look at it,..

You can put others into groups too,.. which helps anyone who wants to learn something useful, he or she could put this list into groups and go for the one that is most appropriate to them

I get that HL and there's a few I can happily tick off already so, looking over the rest of it, ticked items removed, others grouped as appropriate and I need........

Most of them! Smile

24 June 2013, 16:46, (This post was last modified: 24 June 2013, 16:48 by bigpaul.)
yes, but unless you have a large group there are a lot of things you cant do or wont do. for example I cant see me:black powder making,reloading ammunition,soldering etc, boat sailing, basic electrics, pv systems, wind turbines, cb, atenna,raft building, sail making, puncture repairing unless its a bicycle...possibly a motor cycle tyre but a car tyre no way.

however I can see me possibly learning to tack up a pony or a donkey, keeping chickens, rabbits, maybe pheasants and other fowl.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 June 2013, 22:01,
Although a fair old list, if you have the basics ...the rest ...can be gained via a good book (hard copy ) library ...had some great ideas from BP and HL , good sound beneficial help and advice and not forgetting Kenneth Eames
24 June 2013, 22:04,
I left off Pole dancing ???

24 June 2013, 22:10,
Pole Dancing? Were you thinking of me hun?
24 June 2013, 22:12,
(24 June 2013, 22:10)River Song Wrote: Pole Dancing? Were you thinking of me hun?

No, SD its what he dos for a living, He is the Lily Savage of prepping Smile