Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accurately aim?
25 June 2013, 17:47,
RE: Accurately aim?
My bow has is easy to hold at full draw, the cams see to that. Add the fact that I have a trigger release that is actually strapped to my wrist - I don't get cramp in my fingers either.
25 June 2013, 18:34, (This post was last modified: 25 June 2013, 18:35 by Scythe13.)
(25 June 2013, 17:47)Steve Wrote: My bow has is easy to hold at full draw, the cams see to that. Add the fact that I have a trigger release that is actually strapped to my wrist - I don't get cramp in my fingers either.

The pleasures of compounds haha.

(25 June 2013, 15:37)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(25 June 2013, 11:33)Scythe13 Wrote: No mention of a kisser yet. I used to swear by mine. Kisser and clicker meant each shot was as standardised as possible, but not too helpful for moving game. Static, maybe.

Is there nobody still using the kisser? I can see clickers are very much the range standard still, for the higher end bows.

A kisser is mainly used on Olympic style target bows as an aid to correct draw length alongside such things as a clicker, also to aid in correct draw length. You will not normally find such devices on field bows or traditional bows as the Anchor point tends to be the side of the face. Olympic Archers generally anchor around the centre line.
PS why is the spell check American English???? tutut

I thought, for longer ranged shots, a kisser would be helpful.

If it's all coming out American, that'll be because I'm using an Apple and am too lazy (or stupid....but probably both) to change the setting to English-English, not American-English.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 June 2013, 09:25,
A Kisser is useful Scythe if you are familiar with one, and shooting the correct type of bow. So are stabilisers, long rods etc, that help damp down the Bow after the shot. It's Horses for courses shoot whatever makes you happy.
26 June 2013, 09:31,
I prefer the KISS principle as in Keep It Simple, if I've got too many bits and pieces fitted then there is just more to go wrong, that's why I went for a traditional bow...when the collapse comes I can replace everything from nature if I have to, I cant say the same with a compound or a crossbow...too many bits to go wrong.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 June 2013, 09:46,
(26 June 2013, 09:31)bigpaul Wrote: I prefer the KISS principle as in Keep It Simple, if I've got too many bits and pieces fitted then there is just more to go wrong, that's why I went for a traditional bow...when the collapse comes I can replace everything from nature if I have to, I cant say the same with a compound or a crossbow...too many bits to go wrong.

I also have this philosophy regarding the simplicity of traditional type bows. Now we have some compound archers on here it would be good to get some feedback from them as to their experiences and servicing regime they use. I know I have viewed my thoughts regarding the unsuitability of Compounds etc to survive for any amount of time after TSHTF, but this is only through shooting these bows for a relatively short period of time, I shoot them regularly enough but have never owned one to assess the amount of servicing they need.
Who out there shoots a compound on a weekly basis in all types of weather?
26 June 2013, 10:14,
I only have a modest amount of time with my compounds and I love em, primarily cos there is NO maintenence of any note to do, they dont even need unstringing when not in use, I think that as an instantly available EDC bow for home security or bagging that buck in your back garden they superb. Instant availability, insanely compact and portable, wickedly fast to use, and so simple to learn they are great and I highly reccomend them for EDC use, they can live for years behind the back door completely ignored until needed and that is something normally only rifle and shotgungun owners can enjoy. BUT........ As you correctly point out and as we have discussed before they are far more complicated than a bent stick strung with dental floss and that cannot be ignored. They require very little maintenance but when they do need it normally it means a trip to the archery shop. And considering there is only about 10 stores in the whole UK that can be expensive, time consuming and dangerous if TSHTF whilst its out of service. I fully accept and understand that point that is why I am currently looking for a decent BACK UP BOW, I'm thinking along the lines of a 36 pound draw, 3 piece take down recurve hunting bow, spare limbs, spares strings etc that can be used when instant availability is not required. Both bows could use the same arrows both bows would fit in my rucksack, I eould have the simple reliability of a basic bow from preplanned hunting or patroling, but have the compound as for all intensive purposes as my EDC side arm ready for instant use morning noon or night, No "wheres the bow, wheres the string, where the stringer oh bollocks the deer has gone" to worry about. Compounds I feel are far easier to master than traditional bows, but Recurves and Long bows have that eternal simplicity that appeals to many ( and almost no expensive maintenance bills)

I 100% agree with those who choose the simple bare backed bow route but I think, nay feel that perhaps you are missing out on a very beneficial piece of kit that could realistically ENHANCE your archery. I think ARCHERS will go for one of either types compound or traditional, but I feel that PREPPERS should take the opportunity of benefitting from BOTH because both enhance an improve our lives and preps. Security wise I can step out of bed, pick up my compound, nock an arrow and fire in a few seconds, that is something most INEXPERIENCED longbow archers can dream of, And I prefer manouvering around the instead of a house with a bow only 3 ft 4 long instead of 6 ft long Smile

TH if you were in this area I would be delighted to lend you one of the Banshees for you to experiment with for a few weeks

I actually have a KAP PRO 30 pound TDB as well as the Banshee quads but its 68 inches long, I want a TDB of no more than 58 or 60 inches and 35 pound draw.

26 June 2013, 10:23,
I don't think many of us live in houses where we are going to shoot a deer in the back garden!Big Grin I know I don't, my garden is surrounded by an 8 ft high fence and then other gardens, anyone that lives on a housing estate knows what I mean. my horse bow is so short and so powerful I have to use a stringer, but my longbow does NOT, I can leave the string on one end and loose on the other...not nocked..it takes a few SECONDS to bend the bow and nock the string...done.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 June 2013, 10:40,
I have never thought of my bow as a defensive weapon, but NR makes some good points, you could leave a compound bow strung and with an arrow on the string and through a whisker biscuit, hanging on the bedroom wall 24/7 . For longbow fans, try aiming at something halfway up the stairs or from a crouching position, are your ceilings even high enough to use the bow ?
26 June 2013, 10:53,
(26 June 2013, 10:40)Steve Wrote: I have never thought of my bow as a defensive weapon, but NR makes some good points, you could leave a compound bow strung and with an arrow on the string and through a whisker biscuit, hanging on the bedroom wall 24/7 . For longbow fans, try aiming at something halfway up the stairs or from a crouching position, are your ceilings even high enough to use the bow ?

I dont see it as a weapon per se Steve I see it as a tool that with the compound is INSTANTLY available be it to bag an errant Rabbit or to scare off a burglar or to drive off intruders after TSHTF, Its just to good a TOOL to not have around. I get gobsmacked when I see some modern state of the art compounds that are only 27 inches tip to tip fully adjustable from about 12 pounds to 60 pounds, INSTANTLY available 24/7/365 with little maintenance needs. They have a good role they can play in our preps especially in conjunction with the simple reliability of a long bow etc as back up and hunting role.
You can in theory just sit up in bed, grab a small compound load , draw, aim and fire without getting up in an emergency !!. Even a crossbow has to be cocked.

26 June 2013, 11:16,
modern houses have reasonably high ceilings, I could fire from my bedroom window out into the garden, I KNOW I can fire out of the living room through the (open) patio door!!Big Grin