Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sandbags
24 June 2013, 23:58,
sandbags
hi, has anyone stocked up with sandbags?
i was thinking that if the drains start getting full,in the event that the power grid goes down and the pumps stop working, and you happen to have a manhole in your garden.
the pressure may raise the manhole? so i was thinking if i invest in some
sandbags just in case.
then i came up with these on my search. (can find them cheaper)

Instant Sandbags

The Instant Sandbag is the ‘modern’ equivalent to a traditional sandbag.

Inside the hessian bag is an incredible polymer which absorbs substantial amounts of water in three to five minutes. Once inflated, the bags are ready to use just like a sand-filled sandbag.

An average doorway will need 13 – 14 instant sandbags which should be staggered to strengthen the layers as you would with bricks.

Prevent flood damage to your home and property. Instant sandbags are a vital addition to households that are in potential flood zones. The changes attributable to global warming mean that we are all subject to more dynamic weather patterns making every home and business susceptible to flood damage. To safeguard your property from potential flood damage use enough instant sandbags to double the depth of the anticipated flood water.

â–º Easy to Store â–º Easy to Install â–º Strong Hessian Outer â–º Easy to Dispose

Filled Sandbags Available

More Information

Coming flat-packed, the light and easy to store Instant Sandbags are a great alternative to traditional
sand-filled sandbags. Instant Sandbags can be used in almost any situation where there is the risk of
water ingress. Use to dam or divert water flow.

Made from a jute material, the inflatable Instant Sandbag is approximately 300mm x 600mm and less than a centimetre deep before activation. Inside the bag is a Super Absorbent Polymer which will expand to around 16 kilos in weight when it comes into contact with water. Instant Sandbags are 95% biodegradable and will return to flat again after use so, are easily disposed of and much kinder to the environment than sand filled sandbags.

Technical Details

Made from a hessian or jute material, the inflatable Instant Sandbag is approximately 300mm x 600mm and less than a centimetre deep before activation. Inside the bag is a Super Absorbent Polymer which will expand to around 16 kilos in weight when it makes contact with water. Instant Sandbags are 95% biodegradable and will return to flat again after use so, are easily disposed of and much kinder to the environment than sand filled sandbags.
25 June 2013, 00:02,
RE: sandbags
They sound a very good idea,.. thankfully we wouldn't need them, but I would buy some for any areas under risk I had, there is nothing more time consuming that filling sand backs in an emergency
A major part of survival is invisibility.
25 June 2013, 02:05,
(24 June 2013, 23:58)Bjm Wrote: Filled Sandbags Available

Instant Sandbags... ...much kinder to the environment than sand filled sandbags

For when they are needed in a real hurry, these sound as though they would be ideal but that would be getting caught unprepared, wouldn't it? It does occur to me to wonder how the price compares to a small hessian sack that you fill yourself?

I also have to wonder why they would infer that ordinary sandbags are not kind to the environment? Sand/earth? Natural material?

25 June 2013, 09:05,
They sound interesting, but I'm not a fan of the biodegradable element. No, I don't hate the world and want to destroy it. Let me explain. Firstly, I want a multi use item. Sandbags can be used numerous times, as long as you don't split them. Reasonable care and rebagging, should see a sandbag lasting a damn long time! The biodegradable aspect of the instant SBs suggests they will be really useful, for a while, and then will break down and become less useful, requiring repurchasing, restocking, and all that stuff that needs to happen once TSHTF. Doable, as long as the company remains in business post SHTF. Otherwise you'll need a load of sand and sacks to take the place of the instant SBs once they start breaking down. Does that make sense?

As space savers, they sound awesome. But for a longer termed use, something I'm thinking of in regard to home protection, they sound too finite.

Good find though, and they definitely serve a great purpose. Just not the product for me.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 June 2013, 13:06,
Sounds to me like these could be used to cover places and when the flooods come they will inflate and seal the gaps. However, how do you remove the water?

Is there a link? I'd like to check this out.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 June 2013, 18:56,
heres a link http://www.flood-products.co.uk/hydrosac...43288.html but you can find them cheaper