Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage
29 June 2013, 16:48,
RE: The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage
(29 June 2013, 13:23)Highlander Wrote: The trouble is with long posts like these many people will never read them.
So basically you're saying that I shouldn't have posted this (actually 3 articles) because it's too long?

Quote:I think it has flaws in it,... take the guy who comes across the incident, according to this piece, he has to start triaging not treating,... how in reality does he do that, he is not medically trained, he will almost certainly not have pretty labels on his person.

The article was written by a physician and a registered nurse practioner, primarily for emergency medical personnel. I'm sure that there are at least a few of us on the board. And no, I don't carry triage tags in my med bag either!

Quote:So he starts going amongst the casualties he will not be able to see most of the wounds,.. he cant leave `red` cases to continue with his triaging and leave a very badly injured casualty to die,..... basically the rescuer is in a mess

No, he/she first calls 911 or 999 and concisely reports the situation. Then he/she, by verbal command, gets the "walking wounded" to stand up and move to a safer location - thus limiting the number of patients that have to be triaged. Unfortunately, in this situation, emergency medical personnel may very well have to "play God" and leave a very badly injured patient to die while using his/her skills and supplies to save more viable patients. If you're ever put in a situation where you have to make that call, I can promise you many sleepless nights, feelings of guilt, and a lot of second-guessing yourself. No, it's not pleasant.

Quote:We did a certain amount of training for this kind of thing in the Army, albeit coming across an ambush situation,.. but in every case there were quiet a few men around to do the job,...and in the piece above that would have to be the case as well,... because just one or two people couldn't manage in the form that it is written down there

But in a SHTF situation, one or two people may be all available, and if you re-read the article, you'll find that the goal is for one person (the first on the scene) to:
1. Call it in and report it
2. Get the "walking wounded" away from the immediate area, and
3. Triage all the remaining victims, spending approximately 30 seconds on each.

Quote:All an individual could hope to do, is to first access the risk of further damage being done,... if he thinks it safe enough he would move in,.. he would NEVER ask the casualties for help, he risks people moving about who shouldn't be moved, a person with a broken neck or back doesn't always know it until they move, and that often too late, many will be in shock and are likely to do very different things to what you have asked,..and even the ones who are able could kill casualties by doing the wrong thing

Reread the article... what is asked of casualties (and this is a mass-casualty event that is being described) is not beyond their capabilitiy, and possible cervical injuries are addressed.

Quote:you would have to use your eyes, access each in this way,.. deal with heavy bleeding first, because that's the ONLY symptom that will appear clearly desperate

Really? Heavy bleeding? Have you ever seen an accidental amputation where there is very little bleeding? To a trained EMT or Paramedic, MANY non-obvious symptoms will appear "clearly desperate", like a "blown" pupil. Others which may appear desperate to an untrained eye will be seen as non-life-threatening. Training pays!.

Quote:The piece above was either written for medical personal who come across a situation, or military personnel

Yes, and for preppers who are interested in learning and upgrading their medical skills too. I'm sorry tht you didn't find it useful.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!

Messages In This Thread
The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage - by Jonas - 27 June 2013, 17:45
RE: The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage - by Jonas - 29 June 2013, 16:48
RE: The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage - by Bonnox - 21 August 2013, 17:01
RE: The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage - by Jonas - 21 August 2013, 19:01