Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ideal prepper place to live??
30 June 2013, 09:50,
RE: The Ideal prepper place to live??
Devons water supply is mainly PUMPED, it needs electricity to be moved around as does your sewage. No leccy =no water. Fortunately chaps like John added that issue to their plans and are dealing with it.

30 June 2013, 09:53,
Depending on the population an island could also become a very barren place very quickly, I dont know either Lundy or the Scillies, but if the population is high is there enough land for all to survive after supplies have run out,... remember you might well be stranded there
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 June 2013, 09:53,
there wont be a lot of ANYTHING without electricity including MAINS water and sewerage, that goes for lots of places NOT just Devon, however when I referred to water I was NOT referring to MAINS water but to NATURAL sources of which there are many in Devon.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 June 2013, 09:54, (This post was last modified: 30 June 2013, 09:55 by NorthernRaider.)
(30 June 2013, 09:48)John Wrote: Agreed, you is where you feel best and I is where I feel best but nowhere is perfect.
My preferred place is where I am now which surprise surprise is Devon.
May find below link of interest relating to UK flooding.

http://flood.firetree.net/

Good mapping thing that is John, I used it when it first came out, Note how the Somerset plains right to to Taunton are underwater, which is also what would happen twice a year if they stopped pumping the area out. Lincs and much of South Yorks is gone as well.

(30 June 2013, 09:53)Highlander Wrote: Depending on the population an island could also become a very barren place very quickly, I dont know either Lundy or the Scillies, but if the population is high is there enough land for all to survive after supplies have run out,... remember you might well be stranded there

I seem to reccollect reading that an island has to have a certain amount of mass to be able to be self sufficient, but I suppose with planning and preps even if an island is only temporary , that temp pedio could still be quite a few years.

30 June 2013, 10:02,
[quote='NorthernRaider' pid='63497' dateline='1372582452']

Note how the Somerset plains right to to Taunton are underwater, which is also what would happen twice a year if they stopped pumping the area out.

the Somerset Levels are BELOW sea level, they wouldn't flood twice a year, they flood ONCE & STAY FLOODED permanently without pumps, they would revert to what they were originally which is reed beds and open water, Somerset is so called because is where the SUMMER PEOPLE went, in winter they retreated to the high ground as the Levels in Winter is not fit for man or beast.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 June 2013, 16:21,
Devon sounds like a winner. I wonder why my great-grandfather Harry ever left to emigrate to the "colonies"? Oh yeah! I remember now... my great-great-grandfather gambled away the family fortune! Sad

Devon sounds great though! Like Texas (but a little cooler) ... Big Grin
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
30 June 2013, 16:39,
I like South West Wales, the terrain kept out interlopers for centuries, the weather is quite good ( sometimes a bit wet ), there is fertile land and plenty of water, UKs lowest population density, thousands of smallholdings, good sea fishing, coal. The natives are friendly too.
30 June 2013, 17:49,
(30 June 2013, 16:39)Steve Wrote: I like South West Wales, The natives are friendly too.

oh yeah? not what I heard....especially south Wales!
30 June 2013, 18:04,
(30 June 2013, 17:49)bigpaul Wrote:
(30 June 2013, 16:39)Steve Wrote: I like South West Wales, The natives are friendly too.

oh yeah? not what I heard....especially south Wales!

Pembrokeshire is known as "Little England beyond Wales". English is the default language.

People are really friendly here, they think nothing of stopping their tractors in the middle of the road to have a chat if you are driving the other way, sometimes you hope for another car to come along so you can get on your way without seeming rude.
30 June 2013, 18:10, (This post was last modified: 30 June 2013, 18:24 by bigpaul.)
yeah but down south (Wales) they'll attack you if they think your not Welsh! there was a guy from Brum-he was born in Wales but moved away when very little- on a night out in Cardiff or Swansea..cant remember which..who was attacked when the locals heard his accent....don't call that friendly!!!

(30 June 2013, 16:21)Jonas Wrote: Devon sounds great though! Like Texas (but a little cooler) ... Big Grin

don't think Devon is like Texas-we have these strange things called hedges which cut one piece of land off from the next bit!

(30 June 2013, 16:21)Jonas Wrote: Devon sounds like a winner.

it is, but don't tell everyone or they'll all want to come hereTongue i'd rather have it all to myself instead (post collapse)!Big Grin