Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Make SHTF Shoes
2 July 2013, 19:59,
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes
I now have to include one material I did not include in the materials list, that is thread. You will have to have something to sew your creation together.

I like to use artificial sinew for sewing up my moccs and shoes. I also use course linen thread and occasionally cotton. Waxing any of these threads with bees wax helps the construction process and extends the life of the thread.

Thread is where you find it SHTF. If you have exactly what you need in your supplies fine and dandy but you may have to improvise that also.

Probably the best substitute you will find will be dental floss. It is an excellent binder for shoes.

Another option is those inner strands from 550 cord.

fishing line is an option.

Primitive people used sinew. sinew is the connective tissue that connects the muscle to the bone. In several animals there are long strands in the legs and along the spine. Butchers refer to this material as silver strip. They consider it waste. when you kill large animals and skin them out you can salvage this sinew, dry if and pound the fibers. They will separate in to small threads that can be softened and used for sewing.

Intestinal tissue can be used in the same way.

There is also the possibility that one can use leather laces. Laces can be hand cut in several ways. Many improvised shoes work very well when sewn up with coarse leather laces. In the instructions these laces will often be referred too as thongs (the real meaning of the term) and sometimes as wangs.

Messages In This Thread
How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 1 July 2013, 23:02
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Skean Dhude - 2 July 2013, 11:50
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 2 July 2013, 17:10
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Skean Dhude - 2 July 2013, 19:17
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 2 July 2013, 19:59
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by River Song - 4 July 2013, 22:19
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 5 July 2013, 02:39
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Grumpy Grandpa - 5 July 2013, 13:24
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 5 July 2013, 19:51