Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virgin camping kit
4 July 2013, 18:58,
Virgin camping kit
I'm getting my kit together for the Dartmoor camp. It's an overnighter and I have just finished ordering my last few bits.
Can you peeps let me know if I have missed somthing here? It's not a bug out bag, it will be specificly for the 1 night sleepover with SHTF in mind...
Also I know a knife is not on the list as I have scissors on my multi tool. Smile

Also also - sorry if this has been covered heaps of times

30L Rucksack
3L Water
Mouthwash
Med kit (small)
Flannel
Cleaning wipes
Towel (small)
Blanket (small)
Groundsheet
Foam roll
Bivvy sheet
Paracord
Bungees
Tent pegs
Food: Dinner / brekkie & snacks
Mess tins
KFS
Tin opener
Lighter / Firelighter
Cotton wool
Torch
Camping stove
Water purification tablets
Compass
Whistle
Multitool
Glow sticks
Shemg? Shmog? whatever
Bug repellent spray
Pack A Mac
Camping mug
Spare socks
Trowl
Loo roll
Notepad & pen

Binoculars
Hat
Jacket
Boots
Sunglasses
Watch
4 July 2013, 19:07,
RE: Virgin camping kit
Small tub of Vaseline, great for protecting chaffed skin, blisters etc and when added to your cotton wool makes a great fire lighter, also stops nasty buggers biting exposed skin.
Shemargh Smile

4 July 2013, 19:24,
Nice 1 NR - adding it to the list Smile
4 July 2013, 19:28, (This post was last modified: 4 July 2013, 19:32 by NorthernRaider.)
Mess tins and caming mug if metal, add insulating tape to the edge to stop you burning your gob

I 100% totally disagree with you not having a fixed blade knife as a safety precaution, there are just far to many thing and risks that require a decent camp site fixed blade work knife, a multi tool doesnt cut the mustard or the splint , or firewood, or tangled rope etc etc

Sachet of Dioralite for salt rebalancing if you give yourself the galloping trots, couple of Colofac in case you give yourself gut rot .

4 July 2013, 20:07,
Fixed blade knife for sure.
Failure is NOT an option
4 July 2013, 20:26,
You forgot booze Tongue
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
4 July 2013, 21:38,
I think you have far too much for a single over nighter,.. if I go out for one night all I take is a camo sheet, food water, and belt kit,..i.e. similar to a EDC plus fixed blade knife,.... its usualy what I carry in an old gas mask carrier
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 July 2013, 06:58, (This post was last modified: 5 July 2013, 07:02 by Mortblanc.)
You are probably a bit overloaded with nick-knacks for an overnighter, but if this is your first trip you will quickly learn.

Every item should have at least three uses! That makes you think more intensely about your gear and you sometimes find yourself tossing gear because you are getting more use per item.

Many folk say that if you go twice and find you have not used an item either time, ditch it.

I would call that good advice, except for the first aid gear. Do not skip the first aid kit.

My first concern was that you seem short of sleeping gear and shelter. What is the plan there, a tarp and a blanket?

I am old enough to be concerned about the roof over my head and the sleeping arrangements.

As for the knife???

If you are camping among the civilized a good Swiss Army knife or a multi-tool will do fine. You will use the tin opener more than any other feature and the blade will serve for food prep adequately. You will not be chopping down forests or skinning out big game on a typical one nighter.
5 July 2013, 09:12,
Thanks for the replys all. My camping stove is on order so when that arrives I can see what will fit in my bag and how much it will weigh.
As for the knife I'm making sure I stay legal, although I do take your comments on board.
As for the booze - it goes without saying Big Grin
5 July 2013, 10:24,
Quote:As for the booze - it goes without saying

"Camp tea" as we call it in the Scouts!

You haven't got a sleeping bag on the list, or are you planning to use the blanket?
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.