Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacuum Line Repair
8 July 2013, 00:12,
Vacuum Line Repair
I have a broken vacuum line, an important one that controls the AC selector in an area where temps reach 100f!

The line is about 3mm and is broken off short where it enters the firewall, with only about an inch of line showing and no way to access the end of the tube inside the dash.

Any ideas on how to splice this unit?
8 July 2013, 06:56, (This post was last modified: 8 July 2013, 06:57 by uks.)
RE: Vacuum Line Repair
As a temp repair fit a larger tube over the vacuum pipe coming out of the dash and on to the rest of the vacuum pipe make sure you seal it some how to maintain the vacuum.

(8 July 2013, 06:56)uks Wrote: As a temp repair fit a larger tube over the vacuum pipe coming out of the dash and on to the rest of the vacuum pipe make sure you seal it some how to maintain the vacuum.

Or try heat shrink tubing over it.
Failure is NOT an option
8 July 2013, 08:33, (This post was last modified: 8 July 2013, 08:35 by NorthernRaider.)
There are repair kits available that contain a 2.8 mm bit of metal tubing, a length of Self amalgamating tape and two single use hose clips.

All easy enough to source yourself

Shrink fit as UKS says or a bicycle puncture repair patch?

An improvised bit of pipe can be a piece of the ink carrying bit of a ballpoint pen

8 July 2013, 09:02,
because its vac you can repair it with almost anything, try supergluing the hose/line back together, then a bit of insulating tape wrapped round it to give a more permanent repair.

i'm guessing as you called it a line its a semi rigid plastic or metal pipe? you could use something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/9056-New-No-Box-...t_42wt_829

if you want me to look up the part number so you can order locally you'd need to measure the outer diameter of the pipe
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
8 July 2013, 15:46,
The end of the line is inside the dash at the back of the climate control complex and would require the entire dashboard be taken out for replacement. I have already been quoted a $1500 price for the repair if done in the shop. They will have to remove the entire dashboard, and I do not want that due to all the other sensors, instruments and wires involved in that removal. I am sure I would have the climate control fixed at the expense of windshield wiper and headlight control not to mention the CD player, speedometer....

A patch will have to do.

In this particular model when that line breaks the CC system reverts to defrost setting, so I have had no climate control for 2 years now. I finally found this hair-like tube that controls the entire assembly and is the cause for all my problems.

I am off to the parts store to find a patch for the problem.
8 July 2013, 17:47,
lets us know how you get on.
Failure is NOT an option
8 July 2013, 18:35,
GOT THAT SUCKER FIXED!!!

I spliced it with a section of windshield wiper vacuum line. It's nice to turn a switch that has not worked in some time and find it operates correctly!

Cost me $0.25. That is a far cry from the original quote. They would have patched the line and gone on holiday with the money of a fool!

Now I must recharge the AC unit. We are just now getting into our hot weather here Temps will be around 90f every day until September. Humidity will stay above 70%. Most of the time you can see the water vapor in the air as a gray haze. The sky looks whitish blue instead of indigo.
8 July 2013, 18:45,
Peace and tranquility descend once more? Smile

9 July 2013, 21:08,
Actually the agonizing expectation of things to come.

Everything has gone so well for the past couple of days I am waiting for inevitable "other shoe to drop".

I recharged the Jeep AC system with new gas today and the inside of the vehicle feels like a meat locker. I had half a can of gas left so I renewed the system on the little Dodge. Both are blowing artic level air.

The kit cost me $35, which has been the most expensive part of the repair but also one that could be labeled routine maintenance.

I am also reorganizing my thoughts on the vehicle situation. I was anticipating trading the Jeep for a 4wd pickup. Now that the Jeep is in good order I may keep it and trade up on my daily driver.