Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Gamo Pro Hunter Pellets ( 177 Calibre)
8 July 2013, 23:13,
RE: Review of Gamo Pro Hunter Pellets ( 177 Calibre)
(8 July 2013, 21:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: Air rifle field target is that, similated hunting and nothing even remotely realistic, its just shooting critter shaped metal kock down targets, I've hunted since I was 14 ( 56 now) and rely 100% on .22 calibre because frequently 177 pellets passed straight through the woodies, maggies and corvids. The tragectory is more parabolic on 22 but a decent rifleman can adjust his aim accordingly

Crap. HFT ( Hunter Field Target ) is the closest you will get to actual air rifle hunting. Targets have somewhat larger kill zones than real quarry, but they are placed at varying distances, angles and in cover. No range-finding is allowed. It's great practice for hunting.

You say that 0.177 pass straight through, it's often true, but is not a problem if you hit the correct kill zone, in the pigeons you mention it's the brain - the pigeon doesn't care if the pellet exits as it has no brain left. Yes, a decent rifleman can adjust his aim to compensate for the 0.22 loopy trajectory - if he knows exactly how far away the target is. In a hunting situation you rarely know the exact distance.

Don't kid yourself that air rifles will deliver "shock" and "trauma", it's all about hitting the vital parts - the brain - and 0.177 is the best tool for the job.

I leave you with a quote from Terry Doe, ex world champion and a man who has shot more than a few rabbits in his time:

Quote:Every highly-experienced airgun hunter I know personally, uses .177 for sub-12 general hunting work.

Fred Carter
Terry Le Chem
George Stevens
Gary Cooper
Nick Jenkinson
Tim Finley
Andy Calpin
Barry Hearn
Steve Newton
Steve Price
Phil Bulmer
Sparky
Mark Fowler
My mate Norman
My other mate Dave who shoots even more rabbits a month than Norman
My Dad
Me.

We're not all using .177 because it makes the job harder, I assure you. Cool

Messages In This Thread
RE: Review of Gamo Pro Hunter Pellets ( 177 Calibre) - by Steve - 8 July 2013, 23:13