Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chance encounter
18 July 2013, 17:30,
Chance encounter
Hi got back from a quick trip to the local post office on my way back I seen a farmer inspection his grain. Stopped and had a chat I'm going to 200 lbs of grain direct after its been dried for home milling. Great news plus it's organically grown.
Failure is NOT an option
18 July 2013, 23:12,
RE: Chance encounter
That's awesome mate!

How are you going to store it once you've milled it?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 July 2013, 00:30,
You do not store the milled grain. You mill it as it is needed.

Shelf life of the whole seed is longer than shelf life of the flour.
19 July 2013, 06:28,
Mortblanc is right grain lasts longer unmilled in fact it can last almost indefinitely, grain from the pyramids has been found to be edible after thousands of year which was stored in clay jars
19 July 2013, 06:47,
Seal 3/4 of it in Mylar bags and sealed buckets then mill the rest as and when we need it. What we don't use during the year will then start a stock pile. We do all of our own breads, pizzas, cakes and biscuits etc so we will use most of it.
Failure is NOT an option
19 July 2013, 08:52,
(19 July 2013, 06:28)Tigs Wrote: Mortblanc is right grain lasts longer unmilled in fact it can last almost indefinitely, grain from the pyramids has been found to be edible after thousands of year which was stored in clay jars

I knew about the honey from 2000BC-pyramids, but not the grain. That's really cool. Thanks Tigs.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 July 2013, 09:51,
scythe I think the clay jars act like mylar bags keeping it air tight
19 July 2013, 10:51,
did the farmer ask why you wanted so much did you tell him you are a prepper if you did can you trust him to keep his gob shut .
chance encounter , so you dont know him that well
Survive the jive (youtube )
19 July 2013, 10:53,
Most of the farmers I know wouldn't ask, they'd just be happy to sell direct as that is more profitable to them.

However if they are nosey I too would be interested what was said!
19 July 2013, 11:01,
(19 July 2013, 10:53)Arnie72 Wrote: Most of the farmers I know wouldn't ask, they'd just be happy to sell direct as that is more profitable to them.

However if they are nosey I too would be interested what was said!

That's what I find. We get nearly of our goods that way. I joined a small holding group from what I don't grow make or raise we go to these smallholders or like you say farms. Our last food bill in a supermarket was less than 20 quid. But we do buy bulk from makro.
Failure is NOT an option