Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Small Solar Power Supply for Small Device(s)
22 July 2013, 21:32,
RE: Small Solar Power Supply for Small Device(s)
I have generally been of the "keep it low tech" viewpoint, but am beginning to reconsider this.

Modern electronics are very reliable (provided, as said, they are protected from electromagnetic interference). Advantages of a Kindle are:

- Very light and easy to carry in case of bug-out
- Easier and cheaper to acquire information pre-SHTF, meaning you are likely to end up with a more comprehensive library
- Easier and cheaper to duplicate the information.

I would invest in two, maybe three, E-readers and sync my library across all of them. If there is, say, a 1 in 100 chance of a random failure of the device in the next five years, this dcreases to 1 in 1,000,000 of them all failing if you have three.

Once you have the data on the devices, you don't need the internet.

Any proprietary solar charger (e.g. powermonkey) will suffice to keep a Kindle charged. I'd gomfor a slightly more robust solar PV system with an inverter, so I could run the devices off the power supply. That way, even if the in-built lithium batteries degrade, you'll still be able to use the devices.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Small Solar Power Supply for Small Device(s) - by Tarrel - 22 July 2013, 21:32