Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UV5r real world power consumption
26 July 2013, 08:54,
UV5r real world power consumption
The little UV5r continues to shine

My test radio was received at beginning of May 2013, The battery pack was delivered in a good state of charge, and has powered the radio for almost three months, requiring its first recharge only yesterday.

In the three months the radio has been used for occasional monitoring PMR and ham frequencies pretty much every day for 30 minutes or so, fairly extensive FM radio listening, and light transmission testing on low power.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 July 2013, 20:00,
RE: UV5r real world power consumption
What about continuous use?

If we are sending out intermittent signals to let others know where we are, that's fine, we can arrange a specific time for that. However, if we have bugged out and are walking along a path, we might be near someone that could help, so we'd more likely be listening in 24/7.

Any idea of how long that would last?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 August 2013, 07:31,
(26 July 2013, 20:00)Scythe13 Wrote: What about continuous use?

If we are sending out intermittent signals to let others know where we are, that's fine, we can arrange a specific time for that. However, if we have bugged out and are walking along a path, we might be near someone that could help, so we'd more likely be listening in 24/7.

Any idea of how long that would last?

Hi Scythe,

I've not tried a live continuous monitoring test, so no I don't know for sure. I'd guess that without transmitting, the standard power pack will keep the thing operational for more than 72 hours

Next week I'll do a test and let you know the result.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 August 2013, 08:45,
I've just received mine,

programmed it for my works licenced UHF frequencies and now using it as my work radio for testing.

also dicovered a ham repeater in my area that i can receive, not going to actually use it but handy to have saved in the memory.

one great thing about the radio is that i can have the Fm radio staions playing and it cuts out if i receive any calls at work.

Performance is almost identical to my works Motorolla CP040 radios.

the radio is in use daily as of today so will keep you guys posted on battery life.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
9 August 2013, 08:28,
Quick update

I tried to emulate the way we'd use the uv5r in the real world

so based on litening to FM radio 50% of the time, an average of 2 30 sec transmissions per hour, and dual monitoring turned on, power saving mode turned on to 2, TX @ high.

Your looking at about 16ish hours battery life before the unit completely shuts off, i got almost 2 complete 8 hour shifts out of mine.

one important note, i don't know if they are all the same, but mine wont charge the battery and monitor at the same time, if you leave it turned on in the charger, the unit will be on but the battery won't be taking a charge.
9 August 2013, 09:17,
(9 August 2013, 08:28)Binnie Wrote: Quick update

I tried to emulate the way we'd use the uv5r in the real world

so based on litening to FM radio 50% of the time, an average of 2 30 sec transmissions per hour, and dual monitoring turned on, power saving mode turned on to 2, TX @ high.

Your looking at about 16ish hours battery life before the unit completely shuts off, i got almost 2 complete 8 hour shifts out of mine.

one important note, i don't know if they are all the same, but mine wont charge the battery and monitor at the same time, if you leave it turned on in the charger, the unit will be on but the battery won't be taking a charge.

Great feedback Binnie. Thanks

I still haven't tested mine in simple receive mode (that is Dual receive off, FM off, just listening on a single frequency) as scanning, Dual watch and FM radio listening all increase consumption.

While charging mine up for the test, I'll check out what you say about the receiver arrangement.

Cheers
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 August 2013, 10:18,
excellent, next week i'll test single recieve only, without scan, with TX only when needed (i'll miss work shouts if i scan the 20 or so channels i've got saved)

An interesting point though, we have motorola CP040 radios at work, and even with the useage stated,the UV5R outperformed it!
9 August 2013, 10:33,
Binnie,

I'll take care of the simple receive test, No need for you to miss stuff at work

Re perforance: Agreed, these radios are excellent in their low power consumption. Especially when you considetr thatthe radios you are comparing them against probably cost the best part of £500 a piece!!!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 August 2013, 15:15,
(9 August 2013, 08:28)Binnie Wrote: Quick update

Hi Binnie,

I've tested mine in the charge cradle and it receives and scans correctly while at the same time charging. TX works fine too.

Mines a +PLUS model BTW.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 August 2013, 15:21,
it indicates charging, but try letting the battery go dead, put the unit in the cradle and turn it on.

if i do that, leave it a few hours, and take it out the cradle whilst turned on the unit turns off, and the battery is still flat

mines is a +plus too Confused