Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treatment for Wound Infections
26 July 2013, 20:12,
Treatment for Wound Infections
From the University of Virginia, a treatment for MRSA and other wound infections...

DAKIN’S SOLUTION

http://www.virginia.edu/uvaprint/HSC/pdf/09024.pdf

HOW TO MAKE DAKIN’S SOLUTION

Dakin’s solution is used to kill germs and prevent germ growth in wounds.
This recipe for Dakin’s solution may save you money and allow you to fix only the amount you need.
Another name for this is diluted sodium hypochlorite solution 0.5%.

SUPPLIES:

•
Sodium hypochlorite solution 5.25%(Clorox or similar household bleach).
We do not recommend using ultra bleach products that are more concentrated and thicker.
•
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
•
Clean tap water
•
Clean pan with lid
•
Measuring cup and spoons
•
Jar and lid

MAKING THE SOLUTION:
1. Wash your hands well with soap and water.
2. Gather your supplies.
3. Measure out 32 ounces (4 cups) of tap water. Pour into the clean pan.
4. Boil water for 15 minutes with the lid on the pan. Remove from heat.
5. Using a measuring spoon, add ½ teaspoon of baking soda to the boiled water.
6. Your doctor may prescribe one of several strengths. Measure bleach according to the chart and add to 32 oz of the boiled water- baking soda solution:

Full strength....1/2 strength....1/4 strength....1/8 strength
Clorox 3 oz......3 TBSP + ½ tsp....1TBSP + 2tsp.... 2 ½ tsp
or 95ml..............or 48 ml.............or 24 ml..........or 12-14 ml
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
26 July 2013, 21:14, (This post was last modified: 26 July 2013, 21:17 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
RE: Treatment for Wound Infections
Hi Jonas, thanks for that, it's certain to be useful. One questions though...

Without a doctor to prescribe strengths, how would one gauge what strength was necessary? Would it be based on an estimate of the severity of the infection?

Would one of the lower strength solutions be suitable for application to a pre-infection wound to prevent infection setting in, such as a wound that had just occurred and was being initially treated?

Okay - two questions... Smile

27 July 2013, 06:10,
Jonas, Many thanks for this. Very useful information. I am pleased that you are contributing such valuable information. Kenneth Eames.
27 July 2013, 18:30,
(26 July 2013, 21:14)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Hi Jonas, thanks for that, it's certain to be useful. One questions though...

Without a doctor to prescribe strengths, how would one gauge what strength was necessary? Would it be based on an estimate of the severity of the infection?

GG, this is why medicine is an art, not a science. I'd probably start with 1/2 strength and if the improvement wasn't what I expected in 24 hours, switch to the full strength.

Quote:Would one of the lower strength solutions be suitable for application to a pre-infection wound to prevent infection setting in, such as a wound that had just occurred and was being initially treated?

Okay - two questions... Smile

I would initially say that flushing the wound with hydrogen peroxide would be the initial treatment for a wound, then bacitracin and a light bandage. If the wound was incurred in a really contaminated setting - sewer and such, then pre-treatment might be the way to go. Remember, once the SHTF, we probably won't be able to pick up the phone and call a doctor.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
27 July 2013, 22:42,
(27 July 2013, 18:30)Jonas Wrote: Remember, once the SHTF, we probably won't be able to pick up the phone and call a doctor.

Thank you once again Jonas, helpful as ever! (It was awareness of the above that caused me to ask... Smile)

28 July 2013, 10:11,
Interesting information, Jonas. We already use bicarbonate of soda for cleaning things here, and it's great as an addition to bathwater if you have skin problems.

I've just got over a nasty v-shaped cut on my leg (entirely my own fault - clumsy bat!) by plastering local honey on a dry dressing and bandaging it to the wound. Worked a treat. It doesn't sting like the dickens the way peroxide does either.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.