Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bare Fundamentals for a new prepper
27 July 2013, 22:14, (This post was last modified: 27 July 2013, 22:21 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: The Bare Fundamentals for a new prepper
I just worry that sometimes we get to focused on trying to simply buy or shop our way to readiness and forget the basics skills we will need more than expensive Gucci kit, EG one of my Merkin associates spent in excess of $2000 buying a type of AR15 and having it modified, tuned, upgraded etc with chrome barrel, sliding shoulder stock, improved recoil buffer, heavier chrome barrel, imported radway green magazines, picatinny rails, optics etc. He is no mans fools and he researched his gun choice and investigated each piece of customisation or accessory for his carbine but after nearly 2 years he realised he just was not " comfortable" with his assault rifle clone so he sold it and bought a Stainless Ruger Mini 14 with wood furnature and he absolutely loves it and its his first choice for most tasks. He is happy to go the the County range almost weekly now for far more enjoyable range practice where as he felt staying on the ball with his AR15 copy was more of a chore. Plus he reckons his accuracy has improved because he is more comfy with the Mini 14.

In a similar vein I have been whinging constantly about the quality of servicing I have had done on both the Wagon R and the Shogun, and over the nicer weather this week I redid much of the work or went over what the garage had done and did it myself. This refreshed my vehicle MTCE skills, made me happier about the condition of the vehicles and saved me money as well. So those basic vehicle care skills I picked up over the years are serving me well now. And again from doing a basic DIY plumbing course a few years ago I managed to diagnose and replace a buggered thermocouple on our boiler the other week, and I fitted a new gas regulator to our camp cooker after realising the old one was becoming defective, this is thanks to a course I did when I was a member of the Caravan Club some years ago. Learning basic skills as listed above can only make the chances of our survival and continuity that bit better.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bare Fundamentals for a new prepper - by NorthernRaider - 27 July 2013, 22:14