Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
warm air heating
3 December 2011, 20:30,
Lightbulb  warm air heating
right dont no if this sounds stupid but im having this woodburner put in and lying in the bath with the extractor fan going i thought wot if i could extract the warm air from the living room into the the bedrooms and bath room and saving on electricity i was thinking of running these off battries recharged by a solar panel
comments and ideas gratefully recieved

b/d
4 December 2011, 00:15,
RE: warm air heating
Why have fans? Just leave the doors open and the heat will spread. Is it that simple? Or is your house got the room far apart?.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 December 2011, 01:02, (This post was last modified: 4 December 2011, 01:13 by Nemesis.)
(3 December 2011, 20:30)bowdrill Wrote: right dont no if this sounds stupid but im having this woodburner put in and lying in the bath with the extractor fan going i thought wot if i could extract the warm air from the living room into the the bedrooms and bath room and saving on electricity i was thinking of running these off battries recharged by a solar panel

b/d

I read that it is not safe to have a extractor fan running in same room as your multi fuel log burner, I could guess why but won't post as I am not 100% sure, but look it up before you do try this.

I just read this.

"There must not be an extractor fan in the same room as a stove as this will pull gases out of the stove bringing smoke and carbon monoxide into the room."

Another site said even in another room, I guess it all boils down to the power of fan over the pull of chimney.
4 December 2011, 01:28, (This post was last modified: 4 December 2011, 01:30 by bowdrill.)
no but my other half finds the cold and a lot of condensation in the back bedroom so the more heat i can get in there the better our front door catches all the prevailing s westerly wind even with all the draught proofing but will try the door open first it was just an idea i'll keep trying

b/d
thanks wetandcold didnt no that glad i posted the question now so it looks like it will be the door open
again thanks

b/d
4 December 2011, 10:38,
(3 December 2011, 20:30)bowdrill Wrote: right dont no if this sounds stupid but im having this woodburner put in and lying in the bath with the extractor fan going i thought wot if i could extract the warm air from the living room into the the bedrooms and bath room and saving on electricity i was thinking of running these off battries recharged by a solar panel

b/d

Dont be daft you would be dead in twenty minutes Confused, The entire set up and design of stoves is to draw air FROM the room into the stove where it is heated, then those heated air and gases including carbon monoxide between 350 and 500 degrees rise UP the chimney and vent outside. If you start lowering the air pressure in the living room with an extracter fan you will end up drawing the fumes back into the room. Not having adequate air going into the room to feed the fire is the same as having a blocked chimney, IE fatal you NEED the airflow going up the flue and its already at less than 1 atmosphere so if you start sucking the warm air out of the room you will reverse the flow of the waste gases. As it is the law requires anyone fitting a stove over 5 kw in power rating to have an extra air vent fitted to the room to let more fresh air in from outside. My own wood burning heats most of the house by convection i just leave the internal doors open and let the heat rise up the stairs Big Grin

4 December 2011, 10:46,
its the same if you use a mobile gas heater,in my old flat i needed to have the window open a crack to vent the fumes. in our old maisonette in Glastonbury we had a fitted gas fire with a vent in the front wall, because it caused a horrendous draft we covered it up and suddenly we became all drowsy and tired, uncovered the vent and we were better again, so yes is my short answer, you need to vent the gas fumes wether thats from a gas fire or a wood burner.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 December 2011, 12:15,
Bugger that then. I'll use mine to heat water and pipe it all over the place the way they did in the olden days, 2011, Oh!... OK then I'll just use radiators like now but use the stove to heat the water. Must be an attachment for that.

If you can't seal the door properly a small airlock type porch extended outside not in so you don't lose space. Put a curtain behind the door as well. If no porch a thick curtain. I do it on every door and window, as well as draft control it can control any light you are putting out.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 December 2011, 12:52,
we have a curtain over our patio doors in the living room, we close the curtain in the evening, as soon as we close the curtain we can feel the difference in the warmth in the room.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 December 2011, 14:14,
(4 December 2011, 10:46)bigpaul Wrote: its the same if you use a mobile gas heater,in my old flat i needed to have the window open a crack to vent the fumes. in our old maisonette in Glastonbury we had a fitted gas fire with a vent in the front wall, because it caused a horrendous draft we covered it up and suddenly we became all drowsy and tired, uncovered the vent and we were better again, so yes is my short answer, you need to vent the gas fumes wether thats from a gas fire or a wood burner.

FF sake you were damn lucky, only last year a student up here did exactly the same thing and paid with his life, and in the Daily Mail last year a dad built a log cabin down your way for his son to use as a den , the son complaining about the air from the vents being cold, days later he was complaining to his dad about fatigue, aching joints and being drowsy, after that he did not complain the poor sod had covered the vents and the carbon monoxide killed him.

4 December 2011, 15:03,
well that was constuctive lol had my ass kicked there but thanks for the input, yes we have an air vent brick in the living room ready for the fire ,curtain over the front door already and yes stops loads of draughts
this is what i like about this forum you can ask a question and get a good insight of what people have done and like me were u can f--k up i have scrapped the idea totally
it was just a thought to get more heat round the house cheaply but obviously a bad one so thank you all again for the replies

b/d