Quick clay oven build
28 July 2013, 11:58,
Quick clay oven build
http://www.engr.psu.edu/mtah/projects/claypot_oven.htm
Failure is NOT an option
28 July 2013, 12:46,
RE: Quick clay oven build
This is something I think I would like to make
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 July 2013, 13:03,
http://clayoven.wordpress.com/2008/08/29...he-basics/

or a bigger one. This is like one I will be starting in the next couple of days. Will be picking up surplus bricks, bag of cement and a few bags of sand from a building site for £5 on Monday.
Failure is NOT an option
28 July 2013, 13:06,
Thats more the size I was thinking about as well,.. they are quiet easy to make, its just getting the time
28 July 2013, 13:45,
A lot of waiting for things to dry out, but I think about 10 days?.
Failure is NOT an option
28 July 2013, 13:55,
(28 July 2013, 13:45)uks Wrote: A lot of waiting for things to dry out, but I think about 10 days?.

Yes,.. because its important to let it dry naturally, or you risk large cracks,... we would probably get cracks anyway once we light the first fire, but they would tend to be a lot smaller, and so should be easier to fill
29 July 2013, 10:25,
Picked up the bricks nearly 200, 3 bags of sand & 1 bag of cement. Start the clay oven today. First of all dig out some foundations & then put in some footings. Leave that to dry out for a few days.
Failure is NOT an option
29 July 2013, 10:35,
the ground around here is solid ball clay, they used to make bricks out of it on a farm only 1 mile up the road! you could make one of these clay ovens very easily just dig it out of the ground!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 July 2013, 11:05, (This post was last modified: 29 July 2013, 11:15 by uks.)
Looked at that we have not got a clay based soil which is a shame. All I will need is 5 bags of clay. 25 kilo £7 each. So all in all this will cost £40 to build better than the hundreds some cost to build or buy. Will also save on electricity over the life of the oven. I plan to use all the time to cook bread, pizza and meat. It will be used every other day if everyday.

Just a thought I wonder if I could put on a couple of hot plates some how? any ideas. I could use brake disc as the hot plate I have a couple of those around.
Failure is NOT an option
29 July 2013, 13:39,
(29 July 2013, 11:05)uks Wrote: Just a thought I wonder if I could put on a couple of hot plates some how? any ideas. I could use brake disc as the hot plate I have a couple of those around.

That's a damn fine idea! If the bases of them were secure (metal frames?) you could build them into recesses in the sides of the dome. I would have thought that would afford some wind protection and they wouldn't detract from the internal heat of the dome too much. Bollox! I wish I could get to stuff like this.. Sad