Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stop munching my plums
3 August 2013, 10:25,
stop munching my plums
how would you protect your crops after an event .

from theft

from wildlife
Survive the jive (youtube )
3 August 2013, 10:54,
RE: stop munching my plums
in both cases-shoot to kill!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 August 2013, 15:05,
That’s a question I've given a lot of thought too. It's not really a easy question to answer for most people, For me it's the fact my crops are invisible from the road, I've laid out the veggy garden at the back of the house in what was an old orchard and the old surrounding wall is still there. but in truth if I looked in after an "event" and a hungry kid was nicking my plums? other than shout, once you've been "discovered" it would be pretty near impossible to protect crops, you'd try, but if enough people given enough time?
So my answer would be make them invisible in any way you can. The way I would recommend is using varieties most people would not recognize as food plants. Pink Passion Chard is one, easy to grow and looks like a topical garden plant, try planting yellow carrots under the larger chard, set out as a flower border you could fill your garden with discreet veggies 99% of sheeple wouldn’t look twice at. Even Nasturtiums are testy in a salad, grow some coloured cauliflower be pink or green, looks weird but are fine to eat. Green peas mixed up with sweet peas, don’t forget the green pea shoot is a delicious early spring green veg and great for soup.

Anyway that’s my thought I'd be interested in some planting ideas if anybody’s done this sort of thing

Mongrel
3 August 2013, 17:04,
i would put some signs saying some of this fruit n veg has been poisoned eat at your own risk .
would you take the chance
3 August 2013, 20:41,
I doubt that we could do anything, once the plot has been found, they will take it if they can, you may be able to defend from one or two, but as word spreads that you have food, there will be no stopping them.

If you have a garden and stores, then it might be a good idea to sacrifice the garden, if they take that, they probably would not even think about stores,.. then when they have taken everything and moved on you can re-plant
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 August 2013, 21:48,

this looks eazy to do and very painfull
4 August 2013, 00:02, (This post was last modified: 4 August 2013, 00:13 by Mortblanc.)
(3 August 2013, 20:41)Highlander Wrote: I doubt that we could do anything, once the plot has been found, they will take it if they can, you may be able to defend from one or two, but as word spreads that you have food, there will be no stopping them.

If you have a garden and stores, then it might be a good idea to sacrifice the garden, if they take that, they probably would not even think about stores,.. then when they have taken everything and moved on you can re-plant

They are going to call all their peeps on the cell phone (apparently theirs work when ours don't), come out and strip your food plots in your back garden while you watch, then move on and leave you unharmed?

Good luck with that!

I have my doubts that any of your urban moderns have the ability to recognize raw unprocessed veggies when they see them growing, much less process and cook them.

I do not know about the UK, but over here were have people growing strange weeds in out of the way places and providing our largest single cash crop, while the best in modern law enforcement technology can not find or stop them. Billions of dollars in crops, grown in clandestine gardens all over the western world!

Many of those gardens are indeed booby trapped and it is a well accepted fact that if you find yourself in or near one you leave as fast as possible, you do not stay to make a harvest!

Growing some veggies and an acre of corn in some out of the way hide should only require some imagination and prior planning.

Slash and burn agriculture keeps subsistence cultures fed all over the world. Your garden does not have to be survey straight rows all lined up and pretty. A plot here, another over there, several more a mile down the road, a three sisters garden hidden in the forest.
4 August 2013, 04:45, (This post was last modified: 4 August 2013, 04:48 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Here in the UK we don't have anything like the free space you have in the States but there are still plenty of wild spaces, if you know where to look and have properly recce'd first...

Maybe not an acre at a time - but still perhaps enough...

There's a lot to be learned from the native American ways of growing what's needed...

4 August 2013, 05:58,
I've used Secret Gardens for many years in the Countryside, but in recent years I no longer grow because of the bad weather. The crops have withered and rotted with the bad weather. This year has been much better but alas, I didn't sow anything, expecting another bad year. Kenneth Eames.
4 August 2013, 06:04, (This post was last modified: 4 August 2013, 06:16 by Mortblanc.)
I have also learned that there are certain "commando crops" that do very well scattered through the forest in sunny spots with no attention that also attract game.

Turnips, radishes, rape, almost any beans or peas. I have also used patches of maize as a deer plot and when the patch was big enough I have planted oats, wheat or rye.

You can hunt over them and also harvest them.