Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget pistol crossbows and learn to use a stick
5 August 2013, 10:40,
Forget pistol crossbows and learn to use a stick
In a time when swords, bows, daggers, maces and more were carried into battle, many fighters chose a simple quarterstaff.

Don't underestimate a stout stick, here's a short manual on how to use one, I'm sure you can find others.

http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2001/jm...y_0901.htm
5 August 2013, 10:51,
RE: Forget pistol crossbows and learn to use a stick
8ft to 9ft 6 is a big bit of wood to carry around, I have a walking pole which is wooden about 4ft long, a solid piece of wood larger at the top than the bottom which could be used to fend off an attacker in an emergency.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 August 2013, 10:57,
A staff can have a reach of six feet, a pistol box at least 10 yards, a bow 30 to 50 yards, I do agree that skills with a staff or baton is definately a useful skill to have, and its not to great a step to adding a point to one end of the staff to make it even more nasty.

I really must get round to buying a new riflemans Hawk which is another damn good CQ tool.

5 August 2013, 11:09,
I just got this wooden walking pole/staff, I've got to shape the end of it and fit a rubber ferrule, it makes too much noise on the road or on stone and gives away my position too easily.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 August 2013, 11:11,
Think of the films you have seen people walking with a staff as an aid. They look harmless until they swing into action.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 August 2013, 12:19,
(5 August 2013, 11:11)Skean Dhude Wrote: Think of the films you have seen people walking with a staff as an aid. They look harmless until they swing into action.

True, and this is why some preppers who live and work in Londonistan dress casually like back packing tourists and carry those modern alloy telsecopic walking poles with them for self defence.

Equally its why I keep a telescopic wheel brace in the door pocket of my car ( had a puncture last week officer, just not got round to putting it back in the boot yet )

5 August 2013, 16:11,
(5 August 2013, 10:40)Steve Wrote: In a time when swords, bows, daggers, maces and more were carried into battle, many fighters chose a simple quarterstaff.

Don't underestimate a stout stick, here's a short manual on how to use one, I'm sure you can find others.

Is there a rule that say I can't have both, and the sword and dagger?
5 August 2013, 18:00,
(5 August 2013, 16:11)Mortblanc Wrote:
(5 August 2013, 10:40)Steve Wrote: In a time when swords, bows, daggers, maces and more were carried into battle, many fighters chose a simple quarterstaff.

Is there a rule that say I can't have both, and the sword and dagger?

No rules after TSHTF.

I worry that people are putting faith in toy weapons.

In my inexpert opinion fighting should be avoided if at all possible, but if unavoidable should be quick and decisive. I can see situations where a "pistol crossbow" will give someone a false sense of security and confidence that is totally incompatible with the actual capacity to end the fight.
5 August 2013, 18:26,
An 80 pound draw bow is not a toy and more than capable of inflicting serious harm on a person, and for many people of slight build a much better option that getting into close combat with a stick.

5 August 2013, 20:15, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2013, 20:18 by Scythe13.)
(5 August 2013, 18:00)Steve Wrote: In my inexpert opinion fighting should be avoided if at all possible, but if unavoidable should be quick and decisive. I can see situations where a "pistol crossbow" will give someone a false sense of security and confidence that is totally incompatible with the actual capacity to end the fight.

I totally get where you're coming from with this Steve. I feel that the confidence is based on ideas PRE-SHTF. When something actually happens, and there are 2 people charging at you, all hell in their eyes, bricks flying at your head, and stuff like that, most weapons, without instant stopping power, and RAPID reloading, are going to be pointless.

It's all good causing harm to a person, but thing of it this way, you're starving and you see a guy who blatently has food, or is looking delicious as food, and you have a family to feed, yes a crossbow bolt is going to fricking hurt. It might even kill (not too likely, to be honest, because getting a clean shot off under stress, and under danger of rocks thrown at them), but in all likelihood, damage that is survivable will be inflicted. You may get a serious injury, and you may even get killed, but more than likely you'll survive. Problem is, the crossbow dude just became a meal, or lost all his rations. Poor guy.

The truth is, we're all coming to this concept with fantasy style ideas in our heads. Until things are tried and tested, there is no way we will know how effective they are...unless we've used them and can say for sure. For example, I know a shotgun will put a person down faster than a crossbow. I also know which is fastest to reload (I'm thinking the pump shotty). We know this because this is a tried and tested tool.

Looking at the wars that used crossbows. They usually caused people to bleed out. Yeah, it sucks, but people can still remain 'battle effective' 50% of the time. As much as crossbows are ideal for hunting, for stopping power, especially a crossbow pistol, I'm not a huge fan. Better a CB pistol than nothing, but there are MANY much better options available. I'd actually rather take an air pistol, with a drum magazine, over a crossbow pistol. With the pistol, faster shots, and you can really screw up someone's face! Can't see, can't fight (a handful of sand in someone's face can make this enjoyable blind opponent situation too). It won't matter if a few shots miss, because you have plenty more, and rapid reloading too. CB pistol, you miss, and you're in a world of hurt. Panic when reloading (no telling how you'll honestly be until the time comes...please note, unlike films, people do not rise to the occasion, we default to our average high stress training practice session) and you could really be screwed.

Quick note, no high stress training, means no idea how you'll cope.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin