Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody got any fishing recommendations?
7 December 2011, 12:49,
RE: Anybody got any fishing recommendations?
So in shtf there would be a need to disguise these floats, do these gill nets knot up easy, does it take more than one person to place net, and pull net, are they worth the effort, dragging around giant nets and spending x amount of time setting up is it really smart thing to do?

What size are your nets I have been looking at these since jd1 made the comment I am interested in them, but so far they all look to be for sea use, which is of no use to me the fish where I live would swim through them.
7 December 2011, 14:32,
I don't think you can disguise them besides just painting the another colour, they are usually orange. They float in a line so we would recognise them if they were disguised as anything.

Unless you have a very specific area in mind then get several sizes. It isn't a massive issue if some get past but you don't want to risk your nets on underwater obstructions. They can be deployed one handed easily enough. Anchor one end and row or throw across and drag the rest across.

It catches a lot more fish than fishing and we are looking at putting line in our kits. Trawlers using these are emptying our seas of fish. They are banned because they catch too much. I think that sounds like it will be worthwhile.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 December 2011, 19:33, (This post was last modified: 7 December 2011, 19:47 by Skean Dhude.)
Quote:JD1 when you get your "Gill Net" post back and let me know how you get on with it, would like your review on the Gill Net after you have tested because saying and I quote you:

"After an event they would be an excellent tool"

Is something you’re not qualified to say as you have yet to try one.

how about....."after an event all the evidence points to them being an excellent tool"

Edited by SD to fix formatting.
7 December 2011, 19:45,
I have no idea. Isn't technology wonderful. I've edited it for you.

Let's not go off on a tangent please.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 December 2011, 19:56,
Thanks SD

Just to add about gill nets, although I may not own one I have seen them being used twice at close quarters, once across a small river and once between two row boats in an estuary, so feel fairly confident to state they would be a useful, if not excellent, tool

Of course ymmv Smile
7 December 2011, 22:22,
right net in a river a big f---ing no no every baliff will have u in court quicker than a dose of salts but if every thing goes tits up an excellent way to get fish
sea fishing yes u can set by boat or on the beach very effective if u no how to set them especially bass
if memory serves me right i think it has to be a 100 yards away from a fresh water inlet legal reasons (will check)
theses nets are not heavy i shoot a 100 yard s at a time at low tide and dont forget these are working untill the next low tide when u check them
u can have these made to any length or rig them yourself my mesh size is 5 1/2 "
there are also tangle nets also good but another story
8 December 2011, 06:11,
Bowdrill, In answer to you question I live on a peninsula in Scotland. The shore is rock. I don't see many people fishing here as I am told there are very few fish left here now. What sort of fishing tackle would I need? Kenneth Eames.
18 January 2012, 15:42,
Wet & Cold, I've just made one of your fish traps. It took five minutes! Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Now, where can I try it out?
Regards,
Joe.
18 January 2012, 17:00,
It depends on what tackle you have?.
Fishing in this country can be slplit into 3 sections
1 Game fishing fishing for game fish (salmon, brown trout, rainbow and sea trout). These are general fished using fly fishing tackle or bait fish a spinning rod and fixed spool reel.
2 Coarse fishing for all other freshwater fish (pike, perch, roach, rudd, carp, barbel, tench, bream etc). This is done with float rods, leger rods and speciman rods all used inconjuction with a fixed spool reel.
3 Sea fishing can be divided into 2 types shore fishing and boat fishing. The main difference being shore fishing tackle is longer to be able give the caster the ability cast much further. You will be catching fish like cod, bass, rays, conger, dabs, flounders etc.

Im currently writing a few articles on fishing for Skean to post on the main site i will also answer any e-mail you may have and i will post articles on survival fishing for you all to read.
Tight lines UKS
23 January 2012, 15:29,
Like crab? Buy a crab line. They're only a £1 from, er, The Pound Shop and they really work! Bargain! I reckon they're an essential part of anybody's kit
and cheap as chips.
Joe.