Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is something I had not considered before
7 August 2013, 15:45, (This post was last modified: 7 August 2013, 15:53 by Mortblanc.)
RE: Here is something I had not considered before
Not really a problem you will have to worry with.

Most reservoirs will be emptied within a few days or weeks.

Most areas pump their water up, they do not drain it down.

Most cities pipe their water in from good distances and the pump systems will fail without the needed power.

You are not going to have water flowing through those pipes after SHTF, they will be empty.

Better to worry about the water shortage that will occur without electricity. Most water systems are totally dependent on electricity for pumping and moving the water through the filtering process. Their failsafe systems shut down the water flow to prevent polluting the system, they do not bypass it

I live outside a large U.S. city and they had a power outage at the water plant for 5 days. When the power came back on there was only a 6 hour water supply remaining for 1 million people.

They still do not have emergency power for pumping from the source (the Ohio River).

Why?

Because it was a 100 year event, as in "once in 100 years will something like that happen".

No need to be prepared for it if it will never happen again!

Better question would be "are you prepared for a flood?"

You fellows just had some of the worst flooding recorded in GB, what did you do then? Would a burst pipe create more problem than you just coped with?

If your system uses a water tower, the engineering/planning standard is that the tower should hold a one day water supply for the area it serves.

If the electricity goes it will be empty in 24 hours and if the system has been down for months I would look for another use for all that pipe.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Here is something I had not considered before - by Mortblanc - 7 August 2013, 15:45