Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is something I had not considered before
9 August 2013, 15:18,
RE: Here is something I had not considered before
(7 August 2013, 15:13)bigpaul Wrote: "the leaking main was turned off after a couple of hours"....a couple of hours? took the buggers long enough! no wonder it flooded a large area if it took the water company a couple of hours to turn up! post SHTF you might as well be Noah and build an ark!

i've seen the plans the water board have in my area, if one main bursts, and is then submerged by the time its reported, in a worst case scenario they'd have a real job stemming the flow as there can be lots of mains running close by each other

also worth pointing out you can't just "shut the valve" on a large diameter pipe going full bore, the laws of physics just don't allow it, it needs to be done quite carefully and slowly.

I'm sure one of the reserviors for aberdeen (the closest city to me) are taken from the Dee, which is a lot lower then the reservior, and the reservior is lower than the city?

Also i dunno about englandshire, but up here industrial buildings must have double check valves at the water inlet, this means water cannot flow backwards in the event of a malfuntion in the plant, but also that the water would be trapped in the system in the event of an emergency, just waiting for someone to utilise it Wink
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Here is something I had not considered before - by Binnie - 9 August 2013, 15:18