Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staples
7 December 2011, 14:58,
Staples
The event has happened. Society has collapsed and you're all set in your retreats/BOLs. you have all your preps at hand and for now your location seems secure. People have gardens going and our own food storage to keep us going. You have access to meat from farming/breeding livestock or hunting. I wanted to ask people about long term staples. I think we're all storing rice, oats, flour and the like but at some point those supplies will run out.

I wanted to ask people about their plans for this situation. What are your plans for your long term food production for you and your clan? what are you going to fill your bellies with? what will give you the energy to go to work? Do you have grain seed put away? Will you grow oats, potatoes, micro-grains? We have some people here who have been prepping for a long time and are prepping for a collapse of society. If anyone has thoughts on this I'd love to hear them. I don't have an answer but I've been thinking about it for a few days now.

I think potatoes will be the most likely suspect, though I don't know how we'd build up a large supply of seed potato before our stores run out as it doesn't seem possible to store potato 'seed' for long periods of time. Perhaps quinoa & amaranth though I don't know how large scale the production can get in the UK. just something I've been mulling over lately.

PF
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
7 December 2011, 15:13,
RE: Staples
PF,

You don't need to store seed potatoe you grow it and the potatoes are the seed.

My view is simple I can't grow enough to live on in my garden. Even if I could it would be a massive OPSEC risk. So I grow a couple of everything I like. After an event I intend to live of my preps until the sheep are gone. Plans are in place to hide during that phase. When it is over I will take my small amount of seed stock from preps, grow crops, take cutting and expand it while liking on my preps until I can start to collect the crops while still leaving enough to expand the number of base plants. As my preps run out the crops should be providing enough. I'm including fish, rabbits, ducks etc. in these preps for protein.

Simple plan. get in plenty of seeds now while they are cheap. Start growing some things now and keep things going.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 December 2011, 15:14, (This post was last modified: 7 December 2011, 15:16 by NorthernRaider.)
I focus in the main on short term and interim term prepping, I keep no seed stocks for legumes or grains, my long term preps focus primarily after a die off of sheeple on harvesting wild crops and harvesting the produce from the sea and estuaries.

One small action I have planned is to plant in certain spots wild cabbage, carrots, turnips, spuds etc and just leave nature take its course. But as for grains in this area !! Well there is so much wild blown wheat, winter wheat,barley, oats etc growing wild I'm not overly worried about it.

I think for most of us surviving the initial catastrophe and the first year or so following that is the best we can honestly hope for. BUT you know what coming PS my dear friend Smile, I dont think you will be doing much food growing in a city .
Ooops an entire paragraph got lost there somehow, Anyway I have no seeds stored as I'm only just learning from BP and others as to what type I shouyld be buying for my wild planting idea. But in the garden I'm hoping to grow more carrots, onions, spuds, and squashes from springtime.

7 December 2011, 15:21,
If I had only one crop I was allowed it would be cabbage can grow near on all year round and survive deep snow, plus a heavy veg one cabbage can feed the troops, chuck in a few rabbits and we are happy lot so to say.

Number 2 would be potatoes.
7 December 2011, 15:33,
W&C,

Good point. It is one of the few things that live with me around as well. The cockroach of the food plant world.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 December 2011, 16:10,
wow, that was a lot of fast replies Smile

W&C - I hadn't thought about cabbages stupidly, they have been a staple food in places.

NR - You're right NR, not much space or security for food growing here. Have you started with your guerilla gardening yet? how's it going? There's a couple of guys I met at the last Yorkshire meet who are doing the same thing.

SD - how long are you planning from starting to expand the garden to being able to come off the preps as your main food source?

So far it seems folks are planning to lie low on their preps until it's quiet enough to start full scale food production? seems a sensible strategy.
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
7 December 2011, 16:41,
NR - You're right NR, not much space or security for food growing here. Have you started with your guerilla gardening yet? how's it going? There's a couple of guys I met at the last Yorkshire meet who are doing the same thing.

Nup its winter Smile

7 December 2011, 17:17,
The idea is preps augmented by my garden. Planting and expanding from the start. As my preps are reduced I will increase the food I will harvest from my plants and the wilds. The exact details depend on the time of the year the event starts. I'm looking at having enough preps for 15 months minimum. It may end up being boring but it'll keep me going.
Skean Dhude
7 December 2011, 17:23,
My skills in the garden noted for being crap at best so I try to store at least a years worth of food and hope to develop gardening skills as time goes by.

7 December 2011, 17:33,
My gardening skills are poor. Any plant I have must want to live before I get it.
Skean Dhude