Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good haemostatic supply
20 August 2013, 12:02,
A good haemostatic supply
Hi guys can't see anywhere on here where this is mentioned, although it may have so forgive me, I work in an a&e department and we recently had a guy doing some teaching on something called celox, which they have been using as a clotting agent, it can be used in deep wounds and has even been used to treat arterial bleeds and save lives, google it its good stuff and may be beneficial in a first aid kit as a just in case, look on you tube there is a video there where they cut an artery in I pigs groin and then use this powder to stop the bleeding
20 August 2013, 12:10,
RE: A good haemostatic supply
Good Stuff although I would recommend the pad or bandage as the powder can go all over the place in windy environments.

The other haemostatic agent available is "Quickclot" which has a different chemical makeup from "Celox".

IMHO, "Celox" is the better of the two products. Not cheap but useful to have

x
20 August 2013, 12:29,
Where can you buy something like that?
I didnt think that sort of medical supplies were available to the general public to purchase?

Do you have any good links for buying medical supplies in the UK?
20 August 2013, 12:50,
(20 August 2013, 12:29)BFG Central Wrote: Where can you buy something like that?
I didnt think that sort of medical supplies were available to the general public to purchase?

Do you have any good links for buying medical supplies in the UK?

Ebay matey.

I bought my celox & quickclot bandages from there, and the powder.

When the pound was a bit better against the dollar I got mine imported from the states. Just find a seller who'll package it up as a gift with a value of less than $25 an you should be okay.

Like Riversong says, the bandages are better as the powder blows everywhere. Get that in your eye and you're in trouble. Also the powder can cause quite a bit of damage when it clogs up (apparently) as it plugs the wound. Yes, it stops you dying, but if you're heading to your BOL instead of the local hospital then you want the important bit (getting fixed) to be as easy as possible.
20 August 2013, 17:55,
What I found interesting is that Celox chemical structure is derived from shellfish - go figure.

Also it works even in the presence of other anticoagulant agents such as warfarin or
my little girls favourite, Heparin.

Fascinating --- Amazon have a package of 10 x 2gm granrules and although I would prefer tape
or gauze, those little 2gm vials would come in very handy in the old FAK
20 August 2013, 18:40,
I also have Celox in my kit,... its good stuff,.. must get some more too
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 September 2013, 20:07,
Try a company called sp services, if you say it's for a trauma first aid kit and you do outward bounds etc something like that you might be able to buy it, although I don't know for sure, saying that they might just sell it to anyoneWink
11 September 2013, 20:37,
There is stacks of it on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid...&_from=R40
13 September 2013, 21:37,
We use celox dressings, but I would have misgivings using it in a SHTF situation.
1. It hurts like hell when applied so we need to sedate the patient prior to use.
2. It's great at stopping bleeding, but if you use it how are you going to treat the wound after? Usually our patients have to goto theater to have the wound treated (cleaned, bleeding stopped, closure). I'm not sure how long it can stay on a wound before it will become a major issue like infection.

There is no doubt that these are a great bit of kit, but just think about what's going to happen after. I know this sounds hard but if you stop someones bleeding without the ability to treat the wound properly then they will most likely still die. Infection will be rampant and a horrible way to die. I guess if you have someone close by who can treat wounds then it's worth having in your firstaid kit.
13 September 2013, 21:44, (This post was last modified: 13 September 2013, 21:45 by Highlander.)
(13 September 2013, 21:37)Lanky Yankee Wrote: We use celox dressings, but I would have misgivings using it in a SHTF situation.
1. It hurts like hell when applied so we need to sedate the patient prior to use.
2. It's great at stopping bleeding, but if you use it how are you going to treat the wound after? Usually our patients have to goto theater to have the wound treated (cleaned, bleeding stopped, closure). I'm not sure how long it can stay on a wound before it will become a major issue like infection.

There is no doubt that these are a great bit of kit, but just think about what's going to happen after. I know this sounds hard but if you stop someones bleeding without the ability to treat the wound properly then they will most likely still die. Infection will be rampant and a horrible way to die. I guess if you have someone close by who can treat wounds then it's worth having in your firstaid kit.

Can you explain further about this,... why does it hurt, what causes that?, how does the Celox react when used,... does it go hard or what?,... whats in it that means it cant stay on the wound for long?

..... and is there a more friendly alternative?