Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imagine a town with no water
20 August 2013, 13:19,
Imagine a town with no water
What if the water dried up in your town? for these people it seems to be happening.

Drought and fracking are the main causes according to the locals....

http://www.upworthy.com/imagine-if-there...-10?c=upw1
20 August 2013, 13:31,
RE: Imagine a town with no water
maybe in the states where huge distances and temperature variations exist but in the UK? I don't know where you live but here in the SW we may have the mildest climate but we have the heaviest rainfall in the UK.the one thing we wont be short of is water.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 August 2013, 13:32,
Only half the story, they have been over extracting the water from the huge aquifers for generations, all suggestions about controlling or regulating the extraction of water have fallen on deaf ears. The locals can and do just drill wells wherever they like and take as much as they like. In parts of KS the Oghalla aquifer was for decades found only 20 or 30 meters underground now they have to reach over 300 meters down to find water. Pure greed and mismanagement have inflicted this problem on them not fracking. In other areas such as SE CO farmers have been pumping so much water from rivers like the RED and the CANADIAN rivers they stopped flowing through Kansas and Oklahoma the states almost came to blows over CO taking so much water from the rivers. Last time I was there the Canasian river was bone dry cos of over pumping, and of course the aquifers were also not being replentished.
http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2012/fina...ater.shtml

Another point these Blame the Frackers are ignoring is that by over extracting from the deep aquifers it has started allowing salty water from the coast to start leach backwards into the fresh water aquifers.

The drought is the main problem though and its compounded by obscenely wasteful irrigation and sprinkler systems.

20 August 2013, 13:52, (This post was last modified: 20 August 2013, 13:55 by Mortblanc.)
One will also find that this is an area that has artificially sustained its population for decades.

In the preindustrial era that geographic area never sustained a population other than nomadic tribes chasing starving buffalo herds. It was not considered habitable until deep drilling and windmills brought water to the surface in the late 1800s. The same technology that brought deep oil reserves to the surface were used to bring deep water to the surface.

There are places that should not be expected to support human population naturally and when the technology that does allow population to exist no longer functions it is time for that population to move to another place.

West Texas is a desert region. When one attempts to operate a town/farm/ranch in a desert, during DROUGHT, the water supply is going to fail!

And this is not the first time!

During the 1930s this was the heart of what we called the "dust bowl". Millions migrated to other areas due to the drought that occurred during that decade. When the technology developed to allow the extraction of water from deep aquifers (800 ft) The population began "recovering" to an artificial level.

The local government has been shouting for attention and warning that the water supply was failing in this area since the mid 1980s, long before "fracking" was an issue.

That interview is a good example of the answer to the question "When is it time to bug out?"
20 August 2013, 16:16,
My bad - should have stuck it in the scenarios section. It highlights possible danger from fracking as showing a goverment not caring as long as its making money. And on a personal note I felt well sorry for the townsfolk.
20 August 2013, 16:21,
(20 August 2013, 16:16)MCavity Wrote: My bad - should have stuck it in the scenarios section. It highlights possible danger from fracking as showing a goverment not caring as long as its making money. And on a personal note I felt well sorry for the townsfolk.

If you want to see something really depressing then watch "Gasland"
Flammable water straight from the tap...