Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covert camping in the woods
3 September 2013, 15:57,
RE: Covert camping in the woods
Had a revisit on Friday night for another overnighter, this time with Winston (the dog)
Took the Vango Dart 200 as that's what I bought for camping with Winston. Went to a different spot in the woods this time (not on the path!) and set up camp.

Didn't want to risk a fire, so used the trangia mess kit and a gel stove. Cooked my rat pack in no time, very pleased with the mess kit. Winston spent his evening switching between wandering aimlessly and trying to sneak up and steal dinner.

Dog was very chilled out, until the head torches came out, then he went crazy for a bit chasing the light. My new Uco candle should solve this to a degree. All was nice and peaceful, until about 11ish when the dog jumps up and goes ballistic, growling, barking, he was not happy! This scared the shit out of my mate

"There's something in the woods!" he cried.

"Of course there's something in the fucking woods, dimwit, I'd be more scared if it were devoid of life" I bravely replied, whilst trying not to let that little bit of wee out.

Thankfully the dog is far scarier than anything I've ever bumped into in the woods, so I wasn't that concerned. Plus Winston & I were in the tent, and my mate was just under a tarp, so if some big Cornish beast did turn up, well, he's the first one to go Big Grin

Trekking off into the woods when ill really wasn't the best idea though. Yes, the tent kept me dry, and the Czech army bed roll was almost too warm to sleep in, but no sleep mat and hard cold ground took it's toll. I awoke Saturday at 0500 aching all over, shoulder in terrible pain, being spooned by Winston. Quite a surreal moment to be honest. 0500 was way too early to break camp and pack up, so doing what I do best, I went back to sleep for another 4 hours.

Woke up the second time to glorious sunshine, perfect start to the day! Packed up the gear slowly, the tent is a pain in the arse to put away. It's not difficult, but I'm worried the poles are about to snap instead of bend! If I can get Winston used to sleeping under a tarp, with me in the hammock, that'd be better. So more woods time is required.

Hope to get out this weekend, but I don't know if I dare ask the wife! Hormonal pregnant women are not to be tangled with, especially ones with direct access to my testicles...

Messages In This Thread
Covert camping in the woods - by BeardyMan - 20 August 2013, 15:22
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by Grumpy Grandpa - 20 August 2013, 16:42
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by BeardyMan - 20 August 2013, 16:50
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by TheFalcon - 20 August 2013, 17:06
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by bigpaul - 20 August 2013, 17:09
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by I-K-E - 20 August 2013, 17:31
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by Highlander - 20 August 2013, 19:12
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by BeardyMan - 21 August 2013, 07:47
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by MCavity - 21 August 2013, 10:52
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by Kenneth Eames - 23 August 2013, 06:38
RE: Covert camping in the woods - by BeardyMan - 23 August 2013, 09:51