Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education
23 August 2013, 23:37,
Education
Many people on here have dependent children of various ages and while there has been talk of practical preppeing such as storing nappies, baby food, clothing and toys as well as the education of knives, bushcraft and hunting; not a lot has been bought up about education.

Are you storing education materials? Post event are you going to even bother teaching your kids the important 3: Science, maths and english.
And do you feel confident enough to help them learn such things?

I will admit i have not got kids. but i was just curious.

Food for thought
SP
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

24 August 2013, 00:43,
RE: Education
I already home school my daughter.
She was held back at school.
The fact is schools that meet the higher rate set out by Ofsted are only actually being taught 2-4 hours per week the rest is called filler.
Kids in the UK are being dumbed down.
My daughter covered the whole 4 years curriculum in middle school in 9 months and spent the rest of the time in the library doing free reading.
When she moved to senior school she got very board as the disruptive kids were the ones getting all the attention.
The beauty of home education is that they dont just have to learn normal lessons, In fact they dont have to do them at all.
As long as they get some type of education of your own choice.
24 August 2013, 03:58,
http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.p...218&page=2

It is a common concern world wide. The entire planet has come to realize the government is a horrid institution to turn their children over too on a daily basis.

Here in the states most of the education systems now offer their entire curriculum on-line with assisting teachers on call. One can also purchase private curriculums.

I was a teacher for 30+ years and kept my teachers' editions and collected those from other subject areas. I home schooled my own children and they are now 33 and 35. Both have done well, had no problem passing college acceptance. My son is pursuing an advanced degree in Anthropology.

It can be done and it can be done without a raft of specific dedicated texts. There were subject areas where I was weak and I called on my friends and co-workers who were skilled in those areas. The key is to know your weak subject areas and get help in those areas.

I am licensed in ten subject areas and still called in help for algebra, geometry and trig.

A man has to know his limitations. But most parents can do more than they think they can.

One of the problems with prepping for educational purposes is the scarcity of reading material in most homes. Most of what we have on hand is pure trash. We now have computers, so we no longer buy sets of the Britannica, Oxford English dictionaries or keep a Gray's Anatomy on the shelf. We view our reading time as escapism and not education.

The post-SHTF generation that does learn to read will have a good background in Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter but will know nothing of math, science, history or how the world got into the shape they are dealing with.
24 August 2013, 11:04,
Governments don't want an educated population they only desire complient tax paying consumers, their worst nightmare is a highly literate society. If state education is so good then ask yourselves why the elite send their children to private schools?
24 August 2013, 11:11,
don't know what its like now, I imagine its far worse, smaller class sizes when I was there, even then the disruptive ones got the attention, the ones who kept their heads down and got on with it were left alone, I left at 15 and was glad to leave, I learnt far more in the first few years in a job than I ever learnt in school, but back then EXPERIENCE was valued more than it is today, today it seems to be all about paper qualifications not whether you can actually do the job.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 August 2013, 16:16,
Why does the law state that education must be provided until age 18 of they will allow one to leave school at age 15?

Believe me BP, as an employer as well as an employee, I can assure you that qualifications/certifications matter. That is especially true when there is a testing standard at the end of a significant training period.

People lie. They lie about their experiences, their abilities and their accomplishments. Employers also lie about their workers, since it is much easier to hire a worthless POS than to fire one. If you write the bum a glowing letter of recommendation he might move on and be someone else's problem. Easier and cheaper to do that than to pay endless benefits and severance.
25 August 2013, 16:43, (This post was last modified: 25 August 2013, 16:45 by bigpaul.)
I was talking about when I was at school as opposed to now Monty, this was some time ago and we were allowed to leave at 15, this is not the case now.

a lot of the lot that leave now don't seem to be able to read and write after 11 years in formal education, no wonder they are not employable.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 September 2013, 21:17,
(24 August 2013, 11:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: Governments don't want an educated population they only desire complient tax paying consumers, their worst nightmare is a highly literate society. If state education is so good then ask yourselves why the elite send their children to private schools?

Absolutely right Tartar Horde - that is what is really meant when one says they have the benefit of a classical education - they have learned the process of learning how to learn and think 'critically' - the Process known as the Trivium (Aristotle). This should be taught as a matter of course in all schools as it empowers individuals and also highlights the key areas where they are strong and others area where they may need further development - of course as you say governments only desire compliant tax paying consumers, and I would add, unthinking drones.

LAC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
8 September 2013, 22:58,
Some say it's like 1984, others like brave new world. I think it's a bit like the Matrix. TPTB want you to be a well trained little battery, quietly producing taxes and giving them legitimacy by voting.

Back to the thread topic though, I am deliberately not throwing away spare textbooks on things like history and science for that reason.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
8 September 2013, 23:07,
I think after an event, education is going to be split into two parts,... for many people the first and most important part will be the teaching that is going to help the kids to survive in their new lives,.. practical education, how to light fires, use a bow, hunting, cooking, sewing, clothes making etc,... the second part will be the more traditional teaching, but cutting out the more irreverent subjects, and teaching the likes of reading, and writing
A major part of survival is invisibility.