Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A snippet about crossbow power
11 December 2011, 16:04,
A snippet about crossbow power
Not enough here to make a thread but just a snippet of info I thought worth sharing.

We currently are limited by law to 12 ft pound air rifles in the UK, and hunting with bows is illegal. But AFTER a societal collapse and the failure of the rule of law when feeding your family is more important than being politically correct members of the " Ban it" club, things will change.

So FYI

Legal UK air rifle = 12 ft pounds
FAC rated air rifle = up to 30 ft pounds

But compare those figures with standard out of the box LEGAL crosbows
120 Lb draw recurve = 45 to 55 ft pound
150 Lb draw recurve = 65 ft pounds average
150 Lb draw compound = 105 to 112 ft pounds
175 Lb draw recurve = 116 to 133 ft pounds

A decent mid quality crossbow with a decent sighting system is a major advance in the food procurement stakes over an air rifle AFTER TSHTF.

11 December 2011, 19:07,
RE: A snippet about crossbow power
I have the instructions and items necessary to upgrade the power on all my air rifles. One of my friends was a gunsmith. I think I'll get mine back up to the power it should be.

At the same time I have several crossbows. All bought when I had money and when I get some more I'll be getting more.

Can't have too much firepower.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 December 2011, 19:44,
i would leave the air rifles as are just by puting a different pellet in could take you over the limit all mine could be turned up if i had too. but the more power means less shots between charge? like you say plod does not care if you have never broken the law before ?
an air rifle is good for hunting small game up to rabbit size but after that i would use a 150 lb crossbow with broad heads fitted for anything else i have 3 pre charge rifles and 3 crossbows i now buy bows and string and seals so i can repair them
i was looking at crossbows 4u site and saw the viper hand crossbows looks good as you can get fishing line attached.
to win the war, you must be willing to die
11 December 2011, 19:47,
Grumpy,

I have lots of pellets and longer range means more bolts get lost. Missing with a pellet is less of an issue after an event than losing a bolt.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 December 2011, 20:16, (This post was last modified: 11 December 2011, 20:17 by grumpy old man.)
at 60yrds you should be able to hit your target so you shouldn't lose a bolt and i wouldn't be shooting over 100 yrds with an air rifle any sd after an event i want one of those h&k the police carry
that should read anyway sd not just any
11 December 2011, 20:33,
I wish I was as skilled as you grumpy. I've lost bolts at shorter distances but am fine with a rifle.

Plods weapons are not very accurate. They require your target to be held down by another copper so you don't miss at even the shortest of ranges.
Skean Dhude
11 December 2011, 20:57,
thier just bad shots a good little h&k would be worth it's weight in gold they are easy to use
i remember when i was little my dad had a catering van and they would come to him expecting things for free but one thing i did notice when there was a call on thier radio's they would only leave thier stuff when one of thier own need help every one esle took second place
these were the days you could listen on a normal radio before things got coded
as for the crossbow keep practicing you will get better use a target first to get used to aiming remember the old saying practice makes perfect
11 December 2011, 21:41,
(11 December 2011, 20:16)grumpy old man Wrote: at 60yrds you should be able to hit your target so you shouldn't lose a bolt and i wouldn't be shooting over 100 yrds with an air rifle any sd after an event i want one of those h&k the police carry
that should read anyway sd not just any

MP5 or MP7 PDW?

12 December 2011, 01:34,
i'am old school NR it has to be the mp5 mainly just because i've fired them loads and just love them
but if i came across a police officer with a crossbolt bolt stuck in thier head i would have to keep which ever fire arm they had safe and secure with me until i could return it to someone who has a bill of sale just to prove ownership i think that's what the police would do ???
12 December 2011, 10:09,
i enjoyed being able to play with most of the MP5 series in recent years, I've always been a 9mm fan, still loved my old issue Sterling cos it eat the same grub as my issue BrowningSmile , but really like the potential extra light weight and stopping power of the mp7.

I got to play with the L22A2 a while back , nice compact tool with the stopping power of 5.56 NATO ammo, but I'm told the smaller MP7 ammo has even better penetration through body armour !!!!