Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Water Question
26 August 2013, 14:53,
Quick Water Question
Okay, this is something I've still not figured out yet.

Where is everyone getting their water use per person stats from?

I hear things like 2 Litres of water per person per day, just for drinking.

I've not read a single research project showing evidence for people to drink that much water. The best I've come across was based on no research at all, just a woman talking about drinking 1ml of water per calorie you consume. But her recommendation was not based on any scientific research!

Answers please.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 August 2013, 15:21,
RE: Quick Water Question
I think it's a bit of red herring people quoting water needs , i know we need a baseline to plan with but when you consider how different we all are , for example i weigh nearly twice as much as my partner and i sweat significantly more than her yet we're both bracketed as adults.
26 August 2013, 15:35,
I've found no scientific evidence of the claims most people are lead to believe. The old 8 glasses of water thing is BS, as far as I have been unable to find any back-up material from studies.
26 August 2013, 15:39,
I figure just store as much as you can and after the event never pass up a chance to replenish....my next major purchase is going to be a major filtering system and spares.
26 August 2013, 15:43,
I think its just a general rule of thumb.
In arid areas you would need twice that at least.

To be honest 2 liters is a very small amount of water when you take into account the water you need for cooking things like rice and pasta.
Then you need to wash plates and a weekly wash of yourself. Big Grin
26 August 2013, 15:48,
(26 August 2013, 15:43)BFG Central Wrote: I think its just a general rule of thumb.

To be honest 2 liters is a very small amount of water when you take into account the water you need for cooking things like rice and pasta.

2 litres is JUST for drinking per person per day, it does NOT included washing or cooking.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 August 2013, 15:53,
I don't think many people drink 2 litres of water a day at the moment with our mostly sedentary lifestyles but come the event and were all grafting hard to subsist then i wouldn't be surprised if 2 litres would be a little on the conservative side.
26 August 2013, 16:02,
(26 August 2013, 15:48)bigpaul Wrote:
(26 August 2013, 15:43)BFG Central Wrote: I think its just a general rule of thumb.

2 litres is JUST for drinking per person per day, it does NOT included washing or cooking.

When I was at my biggest, I was drinking 2 litres of water a day, but I was in the gym for an hour, and was pumping cardio in the morning and evening! When I was out and about in Florida for 3 months, or the Cook Islands for 5 weeks, I was drinking less than 2 litres a day, but was fine!

Where do you get this 2 litres from BP?
26 August 2013, 16:21,
(26 August 2013, 16:02)Scythe13 Wrote:
(26 August 2013, 15:48)bigpaul Wrote:

When I was at my biggest, I was drinking 2 litres of water a day, but I was in the gym for an hour, and was pumping cardio in the morning and evening! When I was out and about in Florida for 3 months, or the Cook Islands for 5 weeks, I was drinking less than 2 litres a day, but was fine!

Where do you get this 2 litres from BP?

I forget now, but its the standard minimum I have read in lots of survival/prepping/bushcraft literature.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 August 2013, 17:54,
I polished off 2 litres of water in the woods this afternoon. Thankfully I had 440ml of cider with me also.

2/3rds of the body is water (roughly, some say 50%) so you may as well get it in you while you can (and you know it's clean)

Big Grin