Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horseradish - Plant of the Week
26 August 2013, 21:35,
Horseradish - Plant of the Week
I think every prepper should have a stand of horseradish in the garden. Apart from the joy of having fresh horseradish sauce with your meat, it has so many uses, many of them helpful in minor ailments.

We all know the pain of taking an unwary mouthful of horseradish sauce, and that steaming route it has through the nose. Well, horseradish can help with sinus problems. The root grated in warm water and the steam inhaled can help to clear the sinuses, and the warmth can bring relief to a bad cold.

Horseradish is also useful in the form of a liniment or poultice to relieve aches and pains in muscles. The heat from the plant helps to reduce inflammation in rheumatism and arthritis, and it can also be used as a rub on the chest to relieve congestion.

Horseradish has long been known to have antibiotic properties, but has recently been found to have certain cancer-fighting compounds.
That fiery taste is the clue, it is caused by the enzymes that make this plant such a useful addition to the garden medical chest.

It should be in every prepper's garden.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
27 August 2013, 13:40,
RE: Horseradish - Plant of the Week
Yes mary got mine, had it given me by a frirend 3 years ago,not toughed it yet though ...did not know this stuff though, thanks mary
27 August 2013, 16:24,
plenty growing wild around here.spreads and takes over your garden in no time.
28 August 2013, 21:38,
easy to grow, hard to get rid of it. just like the dandelion. if you leave a little piece of its root in the soil, it'll be growing again soon.

but i prefer horseradish paste over ketchup anytime. it has some medical properties just like the garlic, but without the smell.
besides, in our country we add horseradish root pieces to the pickled cucumbers along with the dill, garlic cloves and black currant leaves. makes those gherkins extra crunchy.

and you can use dried powdered burning horseradish as the tear gas also. same as mustard or black pepper seeds.
28 August 2013, 21:52,
Interesting that you use horseradish in pickles, EE. By any chance, do you have any recipes you could pass on? Pickles really brighten up a meal I think. And how do you use blackcurrant leaves?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
28 August 2013, 22:05,
I think there maybe some in the park local to me
28 August 2013, 22:37,
(28 August 2013, 21:52)MaryN Wrote: Interesting that you use horseradish in pickles, EE. By any chance, do you have any recipes you could pass on? Pickles really brighten up a meal I think. And how do you use blackcurrant leaves?

you just put in the 1-0,6litre jar with the cucumbers a couple of bigger leafs of the black currant, garlic clove (or more if you like it), about dozen of black pepper seeds, couple of 4-6cm pieces of horseradish root and dill. some people like to add a leaf of laurel, parsley and chilly pepper.

the marinade has 6-7% salt in it and 5-6ml vinegar essence per liter. i don't add the sugar.
as usual first sterilize the jars, then put in the herbs and spices, cucumbers. then boil the marinade and pour in the jars. tighten the lids.

after that i turn the jars upside down on the lid and leave them to cool down, just to see if the lids are airtight.
since there are salt and vinegar in the marinade there is no danger of the botulism.