Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MET-RX Meal Replacement
29 August 2013, 07:38,
MET-RX Meal Replacement
Okay everyone, time to feel queezy but also empowered with random knowledge!

I was at work when my latest protein powder delivery arrived yesterday. Need to pick it up later today.

This morning I opened my 'Emergency you've ran out of protein' draw and found a sachet of MET-RX meal replacement powder...a little out of date. Self experimentation and a desire for early morning protein made me pretend that the best before date said 11/13 and not the actual 11/03!!! Yep, this stuff was 10 YEARS out of date.

Well guess what...I'm fine. In actual fact, I shall be ordering lots more of the stuff. The chocolate one tastes like crap, but it always did. In 10 years (technically 11 years because it wasn't out of date when I bought it) they may have updated the formula, but I'm happy to take the risk that the new formula will store well.

I'll check back in at the end of the day, but after the first hour, it's all good.

Please note, for legal reasons, and concern that the updated formula does not store as well as the old one, I will only recommend people store and consume products well within their best before date!

Feeling queezy thinking of eating stuff 1 decade out of date? This will cheer you up. If it lasted 10 years, odds are another 4-5 probably wouldn't have changed a thing. Next pack will be 15 years OOD. Mmmm delicious!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 August 2013, 07:45,
RE: MET-RX Meal Replacement
What's the calorie count on those bud? I've seen 'em in a couple of shops but the price puts me off!

What you want is a "Fat Shake" instead of a "Slimming Shake", something to help pack the weight on.
29 August 2013, 07:57,
When I was in the Army, we were still eating rations produced in 1944, the chocolate was white with age,... but all rations were perfectly fine

We have a `thing` about `best before dates` in the country
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 August 2013, 08:46,
(29 August 2013, 07:45)BeardyMan Wrote: What's the calorie count on those bud? I've seen 'em in a couple of shops but the price puts me off!

What you want is a "Fat Shake" instead of a "Slimming Shake", something to help pack the weight on.

It's 235kCal
37.6g Protein
17.5g Carbs
1.6g Fat

On further inspection of the packaging (checking for the info for you Beardyman) it may well be 11/00 the best before date. It's a 'little' faded on the front. Just over half the second number is still there, top part is clearly rounded, but seems to stop, which is why I thought it was 03.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 August 2013, 08:56,
(29 August 2013, 08:46)Scythe13 Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 07:45)BeardyMan Wrote: What's the calorie count on those bud? I've seen 'em in a couple of shops but the price puts me off!

It's 235kCal
37.6g Protein
17.5g Carbs
1.6g Fat

On further inspection of the packaging (checking for the info for you Beardyman) it may well be 11/00 the best before date. It's a 'little' faded on the front. Just over half the second number is still there, top part is clearly rounded, but seems to stop, which is why I thought it was 03.

hhmmmmm, not as high as I would have thought.

Think I'll stick to peanut butter. Tastes much nicer!
29 August 2013, 12:26,
Best before dates are the brainchild of accountants. How to get people to replace stock.

Some things are best not eaten but our noses are the best judge. Dried and powder lasts a very long time. Tinned stuff the same. If I was starving I would eat anything that my senses didn't tell me was dangerous.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 August 2013, 18:27, (This post was last modified: 29 August 2013, 18:28 by Midnitemo.)
Fully agree With SD a lot of best before and use by dates are to make you buy again...everything that turns up out of date in our houses i get to taste test and usually eat , my significant other and her son won't but i gladly do , i think they may drop there inhibitions after an event....i have to mention i have an awesome constitution and virtually nothing makes me ill bar excess alcohol.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 August 2013, 16:47,
met rex is well pricy try holland & barrett in the high st . their stuff is just as good and load up when they have their penny sale .
avoid the bulk up powders they just pack it with sugar , tip mix with oats & milk & peanutbutter if you want to be a ten ton tessy
Survive the jive (youtube )
30 August 2013, 16:54,
me and my kids have just had a rat pack from 2009 very nice no ill ness we all fill fine lots of people need to carm down about best before dates
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 August 2013, 16:56,
we didn't have "best before" dates in the 50s and 60s, we used something else-its called a nose!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.