Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quails
29 August 2013, 21:05,
Quails
I was wondering has anyone got some quail?, been offered some 11 hens and 1 male. Pick them up this week end if I want them.
Failure is NOT an option
29 August 2013, 21:21,
RE: Quails
Grab em! Easy to keep low cost will get mine as soon as shed is finished along with more chickens , never keep them myself quale that is but there was a thread not so long back ,plus a friend of mine used to keep loads of them ,go get um UKS .
29 August 2013, 21:22,
Hard boiled Quails eggs, is food fit for the gods Rolleyes

WaylanderCool
29 August 2013, 21:24,
My sister keeps a load in her huge greenhouse. They are no bother at all, but they leave their eggs everywhere so you have to search for them.
29 August 2013, 22:12,
Decided you talked me into it. Phoned pick them up on Sunday.
Failure is NOT an option
29 August 2013, 23:00,
I dont want to put a downer on this.
But i would personally stick to more productive birds.
Iv got rare breed hens that produce small eggs and they eat the same amount of food as my old rhode island reds and my black rocks.

Its ok if you just fancy something different but im sick of using 2 or 3 times the amount of eggs for an omlet.
The birds iv got are getting the chop apart from a couple of prized hen and two prized cookcoo maran cockerels. Plus one lavinder buff orpington.

Im going for some more productive chickens next and some fast growing ducks and possibly turkeys.
30 August 2013, 07:43,
We also have 6 hybrid chickens producing 6 eggs a day BFG.
Failure is NOT an option
30 August 2013, 07:57,
A lot will depend on the space you have available,.. I have kept chickens and Quail, the big difference is that chickens are better because of the eggs and the meat,... but need a certain amount of space,..[ok you could keep them as battery hens, but I wouldn't]
were as Quail can be kept in a much small space,.. but you get smaller eggs and less meat

So Quail are great if you want to keep a few in small pen in the back garden on a council house
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 August 2013, 09:32,
If we rearranged the garden we could get a couple of wearers down the bottom of it so space is not an issue.
Failure is NOT an option
31 August 2013, 11:46,
you`ve just got to remember quail have a very short life span and do tend too fight too the death at random!
i always incubate replacments constantly! or you can all of a sudden have none left Smile
i personaly think they are very good for egg and meat production because they grow and reproduce so quickly you get a very quick turnaround in 6 weeks they can go from egg to laying an egg Smile with a lot less feed than a chicken,i`m not puting chickens down as i keep a lot of them (and most are pets and quite useless) but with limited room i`d say quail are one of your better options.