Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NRs two new X Bows
13 December 2011, 14:38,
NRs two new X Bows
My new bows the Mk 2 Cobra pistol bow and the Tiny Carbine Venom Taipan 100lb compound bow.
Mk 1 and 2 Cobra Pistol bows 80lb draw
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/6505003995/
Venom Taipan Compound Carbine 100LB daw
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/6505003769/

13 December 2011, 15:38,
RE: NRs two new X Bows
wow, they both look very nice. ho many bows does that take you up to now?
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
13 December 2011, 16:50, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2011, 16:52 by NorthernRaider.)
Three in total but they are only very very basic cheap Chinese tools, I think SD and W & C have got much better ones. These I think will be OK for home security as they are all so compact. but perhaps in spring I'll get something around the 120 to 150 ft pound range ( funds permitting)
The Taipan carbine is only £59.95, which is nothing for a training / practise bow that can stand in for home security.

13 December 2011, 17:32,
I bought both of mine a long time ago. I'm short of bolts though because I keep losing them. Sad
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 December 2011, 18:36,
(13 December 2011, 16:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: The Taipan carbine is only £59.95, which is nothing for a training / practise bow that can stand in for home security.

so would folks recommend his bow for a beginner? or is a crossbow even a good place to start for a ballistics newbie?
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
13 December 2011, 19:14,
(13 December 2011, 18:36)preservefreak Wrote:
(13 December 2011, 16:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: The Taipan carbine is only £59.95, which is nothing for a training / practise bow that can stand in for home security.

so would folks recommend his bow for a beginner? or is a crossbow even a good place to start for a ballistics newbie?

Yes and Yes, this is a good place for a beginner, esp as in your case I think your lass is also unfamiliar with bows and this very lightweight tool would be easy to learn with, You could actually just as easily start with a full size 120 lb or 150 pound bow but they are harder to cock and get used to. And of course historically crossbows were much easier and quicker to master for olde worlde villagers than long bows.

13 December 2011, 19:36,
Any crossbow is useful to learn on. The issue is really one of losing bolts as that works out expensive. My view is that you should get the crossbow you can afford but buy cheaper bolts for practising with. Bear inmind that if you buy a cheap bow for practise intending to move to another there is the risk you can't get the final version you want because it is too late.

If you can get a good version, plenty of bolts and a practise version with plenty of cheaper bolts.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 December 2011, 20:02,
I like the look of the taipan but I don't like the wire system it looks weak as in might break easy and not very powerful.

I understand you’re going to mod it with 80lb Recurve prod that would be of interest feedback needed, both before mod and after NR.
13 December 2011, 20:45, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2011, 20:55 by NorthernRaider.)
(13 December 2011, 20:02)WetandCold Wrote: I like the look of the taipan but I don't like the wire system it looks weak as in might break easy and not very powerful.

I understand you’re going to mod it with 80lb Recurve prod that would be of interest feedback needed, both before mod and after NR.

It doesnt need modding, the Compound prod just unbolts from the front, and the Cobra 80 recurve fits in a channel already machined in the body. Its a one off one on job, and it only requires one allan bolt to be undone. I think its probably good for 90 / 95 lb mark on compound and 80 on recurve. Good enough for close quarters indoors ( its a tiny carbine only 18 inches wide prod tip to prod tip and 24 inches long) Ideal indoors security or small game and vermin and training of course.

To be honest i'm more impressed with the Cobra Mk 2 that came with it, its a huge improvement over the old model, I've listed its spec on the Flikr images listed on earlier post. I'm on trying to find two suitable bolts to fit a P rail to the forgrip so i can mount a lazer or pistol grip.
My initial conclusions are 80 to 100 LB short bows are ok for short distance and vehicle / internal security,@ 20 ft I managed to seriously imbed a bolt in a lump of leg of pork, but you need a minimum of 120 LB ( small people) or 150 LB for heavy duty ( if you get my meaning) 175 Recurves are apparently at the upper limit of bow capability and the risk of breakage or failure is much higher with 175 LB. If you need 175 or more it looks like Compounds are a better choice BUT if you go compound as a survivalist you will need your own bow press to change strings and wires with.

I have different needs to W & c and SD so long term I think my final choice is likely to be a 120 or 150 recurve, but with spare limbs or prods, spare nock ends, spare strings and at least 40 bolts. Maybe a lazer but more likely quality peep sights and a flashlight mount.

If I could sell this recurve archery set I would be well on the way to being able to get a full size recurve X bow.