Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A sign of things to come?
31 August 2013, 17:14,
A sign of things to come?
With the two closed police threads, I'm a bit hesitant to post this, but it may give us all a bit of insight into what will happen after disaster strikes.

Last week, a female officer on our small town police force was attempting to arrest a man who was under the influence of drugs on the grassy lawn in front of the county courthouse. The man, being about a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier than the officer, had thrown her on her back and, rather than trying to escape, proceeded to beat her. The elderly manager of the local supermarket's meat department was driving by, saw what was happening, stopped his pickup truck, and went to the officer's aid. Between the two of them, they managed to subdue the drugged out individual, who was transported to the county jail.

What's the purpose of this post? Is it just a "feel-good" story from small-town Texas? I don't think so. When the SHTF in any degree, be it a local or a world-wide disaster, our local police officers and sheriff's deputies are our town's and county's first line of defense against lawless individuals who would prey on the weak. The local officers in small-town UK are YOUR first line of defense as well.

I'm not saying you should grab the first constable you see today and plant a big, wet, sloppy kiss on him. Nor am I saying that the constable will become your best buddy and marry your daughter. What I am saying is the "us vs. them" mentality does neither the citizens nor the police officers any good. Your local officers should be treated politely by the people that they are sworn "to protect and to serve", and thanked for a job well done when one goes above and beyond the call of duty. Then the officer and his fellow officers may go the extra mile to stand up for the citizens when disaster hits, as it most surely will, rather than head for the hills, as the members of the New Orleans Police Department did after Hurricane Katrina.

Prepping isn't just the accumulation of "stuff". It is also the accumulation of relationships. The local law enforcement officers are a good place to start!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
31 August 2013, 17:22,
RE: A sign of things to come?
Saying that and on a survival viewpoint, lets say its localised or regional rioting that is the problem, you hunker down like a good prepper and wait for normality to return but unfortunately looters find your house and target it, you dial 911 / 999 and ask the police for help.

In this area as an example and similar conditions apply in Jonas's burg and in many other areas, the allocated police response unit for this large rural areas is two young women neither of whom are over 5ft 6 in tall and more than 10 stone wringin wet!!

Chances are they will (A) stop, look and bugger off (B) stop look get involved and get overwhelmed or as (B) as we have to go and rescue them instead of them rescuing us.
31 August 2013, 17:28,
out here in a North Devon country town we very rarely even see a Police man, ALL our local police stations are part time, you'd be lucky to even catch a policeman in one unless they are in the back doing paper work, I haven't seen a policeman to speak to for over 14 years-about the same time I left the city. when TSHTF I don't expect the police to come running to help us-unlike the Sheeple I am forced to live amongst- I shall keep my head down and wait for the dust to settle.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 August 2013, 17:37,
I think if the SHTF the police will either be looking after there own family or they will be running around taking order to protecting government property or assets they are told to protect.
31 August 2013, 17:40,
(31 August 2013, 17:22)NorthernRaider Wrote: ...
In this area as an example and similar conditions apply in Jonas' burg and in many other areas, the allocated police response unit for this large rural areas is two young women neither of whom are over 5ft 6 in tall and more than 10 stone wringin wet!!

Chances are they will (A) stop, look and bugger off (B) stop look get involved and get overwhelmed or as (B) as we have to go and rescue them instead of them rescuing us.

Actually, our town police force has three of the largest human males in uniform but the lone female got this call. The sheriff's deputies are good sized as well. None of these people (including the female officer) are the "stop, look, and bugger-off" types. That may be why the police and deputies have so much support from the public here. If all else fails, we also have a Texas Ranger stationed in town. 'Nuff said.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
31 August 2013, 17:40, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2013, 17:42 by bigpaul.)
(31 August 2013, 17:37)BFG Central Wrote: I think if the SHTF the police will either be looking after there own family or they will be running around taking order to protecting government property or assets they are told to protect.

and there, in a nutshell, you have the truth!Big Grin

(31 August 2013, 17:40)Jonas Wrote: Actually, our town police force has three of the largest human males in uniform but the lone female got this call. The sheriff's deputies are good sized as well. None of these people (including the female officer) are the "stop, look, and bugger-off" types. That may be why the police and deputies have so much support from the public here. If all else fails, we also have a Texas Ranger stationed in town. 'Nuff said.

and there you have the difference between the US and the UK.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 August 2013, 20:22,
We only have two full time Police officers and a part timer to cover thousands of miles here, but they are all, very approachable and friendly,...and I dont think they are the type to turn and run,... [having said that no-one is going to know]

....but I doubt very much that they could ever be called a first line of any description,... like BPs force, we very rarely see them now, so I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for them to help me in an emergency
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 August 2013, 20:30, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2013, 20:36 by Prepper1.)
Ive actually helped the local police a few times when ive been driving about and theyve been chasing individuals in cars by blocking the pursued car making it stop and alowing the police the extra time to act. Thats just the ex military stuff kicking in.
I suppose it always will now and after an event.
I dont wait around after though but i would help plod after if they needed help thats part of being ex millitary i suppose. But only if theyre being reasonable and law abiding themselves if you catch my drift.

I think thats part of the ex forces thing. I mean thats the origional reason we joined up to do the right thing. I suppose that stays with you even if you leave.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
31 August 2013, 21:07,
Like Prepper1 and for the same reasons too i will stop and help the police if needed , am law abiding and i think fairminded but i do think we sometimes don't get the service we deserve or pay for , an example , my stepsons cycle stolen from school...police and school showed absolutely no interest , school wouldn't let me look at cctv , after taking matters into my own hands and turning a few rocks over and rattling some cages we got a name...gave it to the police...not interested ..so after hunting for the scrote with no joy somebody grassed him up and gave a location for the bike ... found the bike at the local railway station locked up(cheeky fekker) so i cut his lock off and locked it with mine to some street furniture so he couldn't make of on it when he showed up then i parked my car in the far corner so i could sit and wait ... thought i better tell the police what had happened and what i was doing...they were there in under 5 minutes searched the car for weapons(cheek)and insisted i take the bicycle and leave the area immediatialey or i might get in trouble and they would deal with it...they did nothing after this point , the lad(17 year old)got off scott free but i did hear he rode into a badly parked pair of fists a few weeks laterBlush but i still think its worth helping should the situation arise
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
31 August 2013, 21:16,
(31 August 2013, 21:07)Midnitemo Wrote: ...but i did hear he rode into a badly parked pair of fists a few weeks laterBlush...

Now I wonder whose those might have been? Well done, that man! Smile