Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet MRE's
31 August 2013, 18:52,
Wet MRE's
Any ideas on how to create Wet MRE's. ?

What I mean is that I don't want to store loads of
cruncy bars and dried stuff but perhaps cook something now.

Would you suggest regular vacuum sealing in the plastic bags?

Or would you suggest that the plastic bag is put inside a Mylar bag
and then with one of those little oxygen things?

Thanks
31 August 2013, 19:07,
RE: Wet MRE's
Buy em ???

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/
31 August 2013, 19:11,
(31 August 2013, 19:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: Buy em ???

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/

Yeah - certainly cheap enough but approx 225-300 kcals
per pack. Frankly thats not enough for SHTF situations. I reckon a meal should have 550-650 kcals.

Question remains - How do I pack something I've just cooked?
31 August 2013, 19:16,
my first though would be canning the stuff you've just cooked

but getting a proper kit from the USA can be expensive and the food would be in sealed jars rather than a bag
31 August 2013, 20:19,
(31 August 2013, 18:52)River Song Wrote: Any ideas on how to create Wet MRE's. ?

What I mean is that I don't want to store loads of
cruncy bars and dried stuff but perhaps cook something now.

Would you suggest regular vacuum sealing in the plastic bags?

Or would you suggest that the plastic bag is put inside a Mylar bag
and then with one of those little oxygen things?

Thanks

This isn't from experience you understand but I can think of no reason why you shouldn't be able to cook up a wee something, put it in a bag and vacuum seal it for later use. If it's thoroughly cooked through and hygienically sealed, why shouldn't it stay good? I don't think it would need additional Mylar containers and oxygen absorbers either. Maybe there'e a food safety expert out there who can advise us both on whether we're about to poison our loved ones...?

I suppose we could always do 'a Scythe' on it; pack several, then try one at a time over a period of months maybe... If you don't get sick - it works! Smile

31 August 2013, 20:28,
Pickling might be an answer to certain foods,...other than that after a meal is cooked,.. then providing the sealed bag is completely free of air, then it should last a while.

The thing is River,... cook it, seal it, and test it,.... and let us know how you get on
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 August 2013, 20:47,
Asda have been stocking Those ready meals for £1.99 for a while now...sometimes there on for 99p and i buy whatever is on the shelf...bloody lovely they are too.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
31 August 2013, 21:11,
(31 August 2013, 20:28)Highlander Wrote: Pickling might be an answer to certain foods,...other than that after a meal is cooked,.. then providing the sealed bag is completely free of air, then it should last a while.

The thing is River,... cook it, seal it, and test it,.... and let us know how you get on

I just googled 'pickling meat' (not something I would have thought of without this thread - my thanks RS,) and was surprised by the number of entries. Worth digging into, methinks... Smile

31 August 2013, 21:14,
Mmmm

Thanks for your responses.

I'm going to try a different track - making my own dried mixes.

Does anyone know where I can get dried vegetables // around 1kg bags or tins
Not 'mixed vegetables' but say 1kg of carrots or 1kg of corn , dried tomato powder, etc etc etc

I figure that meat and prawns can be got through mountain house unless anyone knows a
cheaper source
31 August 2013, 21:28,
How do you vacuum seal something wet ?

Surely the machine will suck the liquid Huh

WaylanderHuh