Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jam storage
3 September 2013, 13:08,
Jam storage
Hi all just thought I'd share this, some of you seasoned pro's will probably know this but for noobs like me I found it quite interesting,
Went to a festival this weekend and was talking to a woman who has been making her own jams for the last 40 years, she was doing a demo on how to make jam with only 3 ingredients fruit sugar and lemon juice, but what I found really interesting is that she is eating jam now that she made 15 years ago ! When made this way and stored correctly it will last at least that long, I did try some of her 15 year old jam and to be honest it was lovely tasted like fresh from the shop, I got the recipes form her so if anyone is interested let me know, she also makes marmalades and mustards
3 September 2013, 13:11,
RE: Jam storage
recipes would be very interesting

anybody got any idea on how long shop bought jam lasts?
3 September 2013, 13:12,
about 5 MINUTES out of the fridge!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 September 2013, 13:16,
alright for now , but post fall where would you get your sugar from
Survive the jive (youtube )
3 September 2013, 13:19, (This post was last modified: 3 September 2013, 13:19 by bigpaul.)
post fall you wouldn't have sugar, you'd have honey instead.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 September 2013, 13:26,
I'd be more worried about finding the lemon juice.
3 September 2013, 13:29,
crab apples or cooking apples...something with a sharp taste....its just for the PECTIN to make it set, according to the OH.
3 September 2013, 13:37,
My oldest daughter (13) has been making blackberry jam for the last week and the only downside is, Its costing me a fortune in jars and sugar.
What annoys me more is that i can buy mixed fruit jam for under 30 pence a jar and marmalade for the same price.
Which costs less than the sugar were buying in to make our fresh jam?
Forget the cost of the jars and the cost of running the gas cooker.
3 September 2013, 13:41,
fresh jam has got to be better than shop bought commercial crap! as for jars, why are you buying new? cant you RECYCLE old ones, knock on neighbours doors i'm sure you could have some for the asking, just make sure to wash them out well.
3 September 2013, 14:13,
you can even buy new lids for old jars.
Failure is NOT an option