4 September 2013, 11:16,
Chain Saw
I\m looking to buy myself a chainsaw

Obviously NOT electric but I'm looking for recommendations
and why?

Thanks
4 September 2013, 11:20,
RE: Chain Saw
don't, unless you know what your doing, these are very dangerous bits of kit, I nearly lost my leg with one, if its only for fire wood get a bow saw.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 11:40,
BP

That's precisely the kind of response that SD says NOT to post.
4 September 2013, 11:48,
(4 September 2013, 11:40)River Song Wrote: BP

That's precisely the kind of response that SD says NOT to post.

OK, I know its negative, but unless you know what your doing and have considerable experience in using one, they are not something for the novice.its not something you should buy in B&Q and go straight out and chop down a tree.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 11:49, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 11:52 by BFG Central.)
Dont rule out the idea of an electric chainsaw.
There are some very good 48 volt rechargeable ones on the market these days.
Ok 1 charge will one deal with one tree but they are a lot more quiet that a petrol one.
Get yourself protective gloves and trousers and a protective face shield.
If you are going for a petrol one go for a Stihl or a husqvanra becuse they are built to last.

I would also say iv had a Ryobi for years now without it missing a beat.
4 September 2013, 12:14,
Obviously RS, you are going to look on youtube at correct operation of the equipment etc,

Mculloch chainsaws are ok, and realatively cheap, i've used one and it works fine for small-ish jobs (pruning, destroying pallets to burn, general tomfoolery and had never used a chain saw before this and still have all limbs intact!)

Make sure to buy spare chains though! a chain saw isn't much use without a chain!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 September 2013, 12:19, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 12:20 by Prepper1.)
Have a look at this Which did a thing on them... watch out for kickback or you'll decapitate yourself or at least remove a section of carotid artery...

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/g...-chainsaw/

or a leg....
or arm....
or anything in the way, they're not a forgiving tool as the saying goes...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
4 September 2013, 14:07,
http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/cha...omeowners/

Gave my mate one for his birthday, awesome bit of kit.

Common sense prevails here, they're not dangerous, improper use is where the danger is presented.
4 September 2013, 14:11,
if your dead set on getting one at least get the safety clothing as well, might save your life one day.
4 September 2013, 14:27,
Maybe us Fen boys are a bit gung-ho when it comes to powertools, but I've never ever even thought of safety clothing - just don't touch the saw bit, keep control of the thing and you'll be fine.

You're much more likely to injure yourself with an axe.