Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Sleep System / Sleeping Bag
5 September 2013, 11:08,
RE: Sleep System / Sleeping Bag
(5 September 2013, 07:48)BeardyMan Wrote: Czech one? I used the Czech army bed roll last friday, worked well, nice and warm. Add a couple of thick wool blankets in there an you're good to go.

Dead of winter, I'd be using my Tennier Industries US army modular sleep system.
Good down to -28 I think, and you can combine the bag with the ECWS clothing to bring figure to -50 (for 4 hours, you need the coat & trousers & underlayer - heavy stuff)

Best sleeping bag I've ever used by far. Big an bulky, but not as big as the UK one.

I brought the US sleep system on Beardys advice. its a damn good sleeping bag.
5 September 2013, 16:46,
As a caveat i will say my snugpak softie 4 season is huge , not really a man carry option but for a bol is awesome and £85 for a bag that equals some costing 4 or 5 times that, is synthetic so still works wet. i love it....thermarest basecamp xl not suitable to hump either ...hence the name lol...not a prob stowing it on the bmw or bonnie though. i have smaller kit that goes in a bergen but river song wasn't asking that question.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
5 September 2013, 16:50,
got a 4 season one, very warm, very comfortable, but I don't think I want to go lugging it about, I've got another one for that.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 September 2013, 19:41,
Remember RS one layer underneath is worth 3 layers on top. Insulation from the ground is as important as your sleeping bag.
Failure is NOT an option
5 September 2013, 20:11,
I can vouch for the "bouncing bomb", Tough, durable albeit somewhat heavy. I've seen them go through a lot, battle tested. I have also a couple of expensive, lighter snugpak's but the bomb is what sits in the INCH bag.
5 September 2013, 23:00,
I have 95 Arctics, toasty! One draw back, they're made for soldiers built like barns, (but probably way too small for BP), too big for one small person, ideal for two, but I don't want to derail the thread ... anyway, so I tailored mine and it's reduced the weight a lot! I made a natty little hat and booties out of the off cuts. These bags have useful internal pockets too and come in a delicious shade of olive green! Great value for money. Also British Army self inflating sleep mat also very good at £8.

BoB
6 September 2013, 17:15,
General rule of thumb is that a bivy bag adds a season to the rating of the bag. Some people like to lay out the bivvy bag, stick the roll mat in (I've trimmed mine down a bit so it's not as bulky) followed by the bag, then roll the whole thing up together as a bedroll.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8