Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of ditching woodburner
5 September 2013, 17:41,
Thinking of ditching woodburner
Thinking of ditching my wood burner in the inglenook and replacing it with an aga/rayburn. That way I will be able to heat the house by direct heat and central heating, heat the hot water also heat pans and kettle and cook roast etc in it. This will be next year now once dont need the wood stove for heating.
Failure is NOT an option
5 September 2013, 18:01,
RE: Thinking of ditching woodburner
sounds like a good idea to me
5 September 2013, 18:07,
I prefer an ESSE.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 September 2013, 20:31,
we got an italen stove heats room cooks food hot water and cen heating saved us a lot of money
good ideal
5 September 2013, 20:51,
(5 September 2013, 17:41)uks Wrote: Thinking of ditching my wood burner in the inglenook and replacing it with an aga/rayburn. That way I will be able to heat the house by direct heat and central heating, heat the hot water also heat pans and kettle and cook roast etc in it. This will be next year now once dont need the wood stove for heating.

Are you still going to be wood fired or get arga / rayburn for other fuel?

Is there enough room in the inglenook to get it in, any connection to heating and hot water connections and you to get close enough to where you need to be to be doing the things like cook on it, use the oven and so on? The room you have determines what you can do.

What damage do you have to do to the structure of the place? Knock or drill holes?

Are you buying new, used, getting someone in to do the work or do it yourself? What budget do you have and what size do you want?
5 September 2013, 21:41,
(5 September 2013, 20:51)BDG Wrote:
(5 September 2013, 17:41)uks Wrote: Thinking of ditching my wood burner in the inglenook and replacing it with an aga/rayburn. That way I will be able to heat the house by direct heat and central heating, heat the hot water also heat pans and kettle and cook roast etc in it. This will be next year now once dont need the wood stove for heating.

Are you still going to be wood fired or get arga / rayburn for other fuel?

Is there enough room in the inglenook to get it in, any connection to heating and hot water connections and you to get close enough to where you need to be to be doing the things like cook on it, use the oven and so on? The room you have determines what you can do.

What damage do you have to do to the structure of the place? Knock or drill holes?

Are you buying new, used, getting someone in to do the work or do it yourself? What budget do you have and what size do you want?

Its will be a multi fuel cooker. The inglenook is 8 foot by 4 foot plenty of room. Pipes are right beside it so no drilling plumb straight in. Maybe a mod to the flue to fit the old woodburning flue pipe. Do it myself then get it certified.
Failure is NOT an option
6 September 2013, 03:52,
Good idea UKS

I am upgrading our wood burning stove in the next week or so. Ours will be for cooking and direct heat, no radiators.

Ours will be a direct replacement, the old one having seen better days.

These are heavy brutes and require a good deal of manpower to shift them into position.

Be careful to spec the power output correctly. too low and it'll take forever to heat up, too high and the risk is running too damped and that will lead to a rapidly sooted up chimney. Sorri if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but best to have to much info than too little.

Hope the installation goes well for you
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 September 2013, 11:29,
We're looking for a log burner UKS. If you need it chucked, set a good price and we'll have it off you. Happy to collect if need be. Could always barter some preps I have, if you prefer.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 September 2013, 13:47,
I will keep you in mind S13
Failure is NOT an option
6 September 2013, 19:11,
(5 September 2013, 21:41)uks Wrote: Its will be a multi fuel cooker. The inglenook is 8 foot by 4 foot plenty of room. Pipes are right beside it so no drilling plumb straight in. Maybe a mod to the flue to fit the old woodburning flue pipe. Do it myself then get it certified.

Are you going to run a heat loss radiator (best off in the bathroom) so should the pump or the power fail the heat has somewhere to go and the hot water can thermosyphon through the system rather than being pumped?

I would run a large pipe up to the bathroom and have this as the first radiator, then work out from there where you want rads. Do you have any other stoves in the house, eg in the living room or dining room?