Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Tools
13 September 2011, 10:55,
Basic Tools
I have quite a comprehensive toolkit built up over a period of time and it takes up a significant portion of my workshop. Many of the tools in there are for specific tasks only and used very rarely.

What though would you consider a minimum for a basic toolkit?

I'd list;
Screwdriver set. With variety of 6 inch solid handles.
Jewelers toolkit
Spanner set with various sizes up to 1 inch.
Adjustable spanners, small and large
Pliers, long nose and large
Pipe grips, adjustable
Wire cutters, one for fine use and one larger
Stanley Knife and blades
Hammer
Hacksaws, small and large
Chisels, wood and stone, various sizes
Drill bits various sizes
Hand powered drill
Measuring tape
Permanent marker
Multimeter
Cable ties, various sizes
Duct tape

This should cover most of the infrastructure work around the home and garden. With duct tape and cable ties being the primary fix up items.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 September 2011, 13:46, (This post was last modified: 13 September 2011, 13:51 by Skvez.)
RE: Basic Tools
Files: Both needle and 'traditional'
On the electrical side I'd suggest wire connectors and lots of wire in various gauges. I'm still trying to find a suitable prep soldering iron (I hate the gas ones), I've found a 24V one but want a 12V one.
A metal ruler, tape measures are great for big distances but I do like a metal ruler.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
13 September 2011, 17:12,
i got a 12v soldering iron fron a shop called parkers tools in the metro center in gateshead, tyne and wear i have used it loads and never let me down
to win the war, you must be willing to die
15 September 2011, 15:13,
I'd add a few metres of stainless steel wire for semi-permanent fixings, in engineering terms it's called locking wire. It's very resistant to corrosion and is easily worked, I find there are so many times a quick fix is to wire it up and all you need is a pair of pliers with a cutter. A few lengths pre-cut to say 60cm and a few to 1 mtr takes up no space at all.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
1 October 2011, 18:21,
one of the tools id would say to get is what is known as a hi-lift jack or farm jack reason is i do a lot of offroading we use them all the time and can be used for many things other than jacking your car up a press, winch and so on its a good all round peace of kit
23 October 2011, 08:32,
A few years ago I rescued some wire coathangers that were being dumped. I cut off the non straight bits - the hook - and straightened out the simple bits. Ended up with a good selection of usable gauge wire. Cost nothing except a little time and the wire has proved to be useful time and time again.
Similar source was some domestic copper pipe as used on small bore central heating. Have slowly added a few solder fittings to my kit over the years - again you can find uses for these things outside of their original use plus they come in handy for moving radiators and installing taps!!?
23 October 2011, 12:29,
Lately I have been trying to build up a good selection of hand tools that require no power (other than elbow grease). Mainly I have been getting them from boot sales and junk shops, anything from Planes and chisels to Saws and garden tools etc.

I have about 4 hand drills now and have been using them for small jobs around the houseand to practice using them but they are very hard work when being used on masonry.

You can pick up lots of old tools for next to nothing at these sales and with a bit of tlc and sharpening are as good, if not better, than what you will buy down at B&Q

I only really started thinking about non power tools in the last few months so have a long way to go before I am satisfied that I have covered most angles, but at least it isn't expensive.

Another related thing it is well worth stocking up on are nails, screws, and wall plugs. Any big job could require thousands of them. I know you would be able to reclaim a lot of nails and screws but having a good stock in hand would also be a great help